cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSA: Turn of E-Cores

koffi88
Honored Guest
TL;DR If you have one of these new dumbass CPUs with their fandangled efficiency cores; do yourself a favor and go into BIOs and disable them. For the love of all that is VR turn those **bleep**ers off. If you have performance problems, this will check off at least one of them.

A few months ago I built my first PC with VR in mind. My previous laptop had an Intel 9th gen i7 with a 2080 max-q. It worked great in VR, but I was so excited to upgrade and boost my settings.

Fast forward to the first time I boot up HL Alyx on my 12700k/4070 rig; and I get stutters from CPU spikes every time I moved my head. Whether over VD or Airlink, no matter the headroom, no matter the runtime; and it was happening with every game.

I tinkered with the CPU starting with Process Lasso and then moved into the BIOS. I tweaked any settings that I hoped wouldn't fry my CPU. I spent days pouring over youtube and reddit trying to troubleshoot the issue. Not once has anyone brought up my solution and I see a lot of users who are still at a loss with performance issues. Maybe you deal with my same problem. Up to now, you will not find the documentation you need. This should be common knowledge and that is why I write.
3 REPLIES 3

Great tip and thanks for pointing it out for others!!

So much effort is now put into efficiency, power saving, especially with mobile devices.  I understand it and wish that a 100W PSU would be good enough for my huge desktop PC.

They really should make it very easy for end users - a button on the desktop or physical button that with a single click can take you from "eco" to full power.

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

@Hiro_Protag0nist wrote:

Great tip and thanks for pointing it out for others!!

So much effort is now put into efficiency, power saving, especially with mobile devices.  I understand it and wish that a 100W PSU would be good enough for my huge desktop PC.

They really should make it very easy for end users - a button on the desktop or physical button that with a single click can take you from "eco" to full power.

Some BIOSes do this - for example, current Asus BIOSes call this 'legacy game' support, and if enabled, you can toggle the e-cores on/off with the scroll lock key.

Though this isn't just an eco thing: disabling e-cores *does* hurt overall performance with properly-written software. If your software needs to run on p-cores and is written properly, all the windows background services will move to the e-cores so your app gets the p-cores to itself. If disabling e-cores helps an app/driver/tool, that's a bug in the driver/app/tool.

LunchAndJosh
Expert Protege

WARNING: You most likely should NOT do this.

If you are after every single bit of performance (+5% max) then yes, but you lose so many positives of your PC. E-Cores help your CPU process other things (especially on newer PCs) and you are gimping your PC by doing so. I believe OP's issue with VR is with something else, not the E-Cores