cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People never cease to amaze me.

MarkDeane
Explorer
I feel bad for the guys at Oculus. They are busting their ass to assemble and ship Dev kits so that we can make content and give feedback. Of course you know have greedy people selling their units on eBay to people who have no patience, I at least hope they are going to someone who will contribute to the success of this awesome company. /thread
12 REPLIES 12

MrGeddings
Explorer
I agree. Its really stupid to buy it for what what 500 bucks or more when its the DEV version anyways. You have a much better value by waiting to get yours and then getting the dev 2 one (if it comes out) or the consumer. Besides i think its actually good that im getting mine a bit later because by that time there should be a good bit of things to play aoround with it :-). The Dev Kit is totally worth 300 bucks but much over that and i think your really missing the point. its not the consumer version!

though it would be nice if they provided us an update on things on how shipping is going and all i hope!

MarkDeane
Explorer
No im not missing the point. I have had my dev kit on order for a while now. I am just saying these people are ridiculous for trying to make a profit off something that the guys at Oculus have worked hard to get in the hands of developers.

jh4t3d
Explorer
Actually is pretty simple.
Always there will be people looking for ways to make profit, even a few hundreds of dollars, and selling a prototype is a good way to do it.
In the other hand, money and value are a matter of perspective. And for someone, buying a simple dev kit for $900 sounds totally crazy, but for someone else that amount means nothing, so... Is just a whim.

Yam
Honored Guest
it cant hurt the brand worked well for the raspberry pi.
Sorry but if theyfunded kick starter they have already helped, maybe they just wanted to see the consumer model realized.

Also I havent seen one yet (not going to buy one on ebay but im always fasinated by how much money some people have)

BrianMundt
Honored Guest
Why does it matter what people do with their units? They paid for them and got in line ahead of everyone else.

People's life circumstances change. The economy is terrible. For someone who ordered ahead of everyone else, who needs money, and can part with their dev kit, selling is a good idea, especially when you can get a return that's three times more than the initial investment.

In fact, I purchased a dev kit for $475 on eBay the other day, on top of my original order (which I plan to keep). For me, the extra $175 was more than worth it to have a unit a few weeks ahead of time to work on my project. Plus, I like the idea of having a backup. Did I buy it because I was impatient? No. I bought it because time is money and even if I get the kit two weeks ahead of my original order, I'll have recouped that money on the backend.

kojack
MVP
MVP
From ebay rift auctions:
...A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear...
...I have tested it for over an hour and it works flawlessly...

...A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging...
...I checked it out for 20 minutes to make sure it works...

Interesting definitions of unused and unopened there. 🙂
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

MrMolecularyMan
Honored Guest
Well I know I'm awesome, I bought 2 rifts. 600 dollars in total, so worth it though now I have a back-up 😄 I agree with your post entirely some people never cease to amaze me either.

KBK
Protege
Rift deliveries are so fast now that selling them on ebay is now moving to dipping below the $300 mark. So, no more of that version of a profit game.

That is, until we get to the HD devkit....
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

bob123
Honored Guest
"kojack" wrote:
From ebay rift auctions:
...A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear...
...I have tested it for over an hour and it works flawlessly...

...A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging...
...I checked it out for 20 minutes to make sure it works...

Interesting definitions of unused and unopened there. 🙂

:lol: :lol: :lol: