cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel density higher than 2.0 possible?

lohan
Honored Guest
I was just having a look at Epic's awesome Showdown-demo using the 2.0 pixel-density that I always use (via Oculus Debug Tool). Every supersampling tutorial that I read so far states you should choose a value between 1.0 - 2.0 for pixel density.

I was asking myself if you could use even higher values for pixel density. So I gave the Showdown-demo a try with a 3.0 value and indeed the picture appeared even sharper to me. I then cranked it up to 4.0 (using a Titan X Pascal) but with this value I got some stuttering.

Since 3.0 pixel-density ran very well and also seemed to improve the visuals even more I am asking myself why EVERYONE recommends a value between 1.0 - 2.0 (as if there was a technical limit somehow)!?

Did I just imagine the visuals to have improved even more using 3.0 pixel density or is it really possible to go beyond 2.0?
4 REPLIES 4

cybereality
Grand Champion
I think you can, but it's not a great idea. A value of 2.0 is 4 times the number of pixels, and is extremely intensive. Going above 2.0 is overkill and the added quality would not be worth the stutter/judder or overall lower performance. Especially since most games are already struggling to reach 90fps even on reasonable settings. For Titan XP, you do have some extra room, but on lesser cards it's not recommended.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

lohan
Honored Guest
Thanks for the quick answer, Cyber!

mbze430
Rising Star
I have tried beyond 2x and I run a Titan X Pascal setup.  The improvement is less defined and I start to hit threshold of skip frames
Ryzen 7 5800X3D | GSkill 32GB DDR4 | MSI RTX 4090 | Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe/NVMe

kojack
MVP
MVP

lohan said:

I then cranked it up to 4.0 (using a Titan X Pascal) but with this value I got some stuttering.

Since 3.0 pixel-density ran very well and also seemed to improve the visuals even more I am asking myself why EVERYONE recommends a value between 1.0 - 2.0 (as if there was a technical limit somehow)!?

Density of 4.0  means you are really rendering the game at 10,656 x 6,344, then reducing that down to 2,160 x 1,200.
3.0 means 7,992 x 4,758.

(A value over 6.15 would be physically impossible with single render target rendering due to being wider than modern graphics cards support)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2