Which GPU card would work the best with oculus rift:

GTX760
or r9 280x

And why if you say either of them. 😮

Thank you
7 REPLIES 7

defog
Honored Guest
I don't think there's a better choice. One card runs some games better while the other works better with others. Although the Mantle API might be worth considering also.

BimmyLarter
Honored Guest
It just really depends on your price limit. Look for some deals maybe you can even get a better one. The 760x would be pretty good Nvidia is usually a bit faster than an amd but amd is cheaper I have the Amd Radeon 7770 hd only like 150.

raidho36
Explorer
Save some extra money and take R9 290X. It's $550 and performing 5-10% better than GTX Titan in most games. It does however has 4GB RAM vs 6GB, but that's largely irrelevant with modern games, unless you're running a 4k display you really only need 2GB. If you're really considering the price, your choice is R9 290 (without an X), it's only $400, but it also 10% weaker than Titan.

Just to note here, GTX Titan is $1000.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I have the R9 280x on one of my machines. It's a pretty decent kit. Should be enough to run most of the Rift demos out now (since many of them are w/ Unity and the engine is forgiving). Personally if I was buying again I would get the R9 290, since it's a much better card for only $100 more. It also competes favorably to much more expensive cards from Nvidia.

However, if you only have $300 to spend, the 280x is not a bad choice.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

zohan
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
I have the R9 280x on one of my machines. It's a pretty decent kit. Should be enough to run most of the Rift demos out now (since many of them are w/ Unity and the engine is forgiving). Personally if I was buying again I would get the R9 290, since it's a much better card for only $100 more. It also competes favorably to much more expensive cards from Nvidia.

However, if you only have $300 to spend, the 280x is not a bad choice.

Thank you for the reply at the end I got:

Sapphire r9 280x poison toxic r9 280x 3g graphics card for 240$ include shipping.

tazer5150
Honored Guest
yes the 290 is a good one I have put in a lot of time researching this in some games the 290 is better than the 290x. I will getting this for my new rig and I think it will last for a good amount of time with the retail OR if not x2 will. 😉

Slaghton
Honored Guest
If we had a 4k oculus rift out now I would say go for the card that would better support that resolution.
Ordered: November 9 Processing: 19 Shipped: ??? Delivered: 25