Which GPU card would work the best with oculus rift:

GTX760
or r9 280x

And why if you say either of them. 😮

Thank you
7 REPLIES 7

defog
Level 2
I don't think there's a better choice. One card runs some games better while the other works better with others. Although the Mantle API might be worth considering also.

BimmyLarter
Level 2
It just really depends on your price limit. Look for some deals maybe you can even get a better one. The 760x would be pretty good Nvidia is usually a bit faster than an amd but amd is cheaper I have the Amd Radeon 7770 hd only like 150.

raidho36
Level 3
Save some extra money and take R9 290X. It's $550 and performing 5-10% better than GTX Titan in most games. It does however has 4GB RAM vs 6GB, but that's largely irrelevant with modern games, unless you're running a 4k display you really only need 2GB. If you're really considering the price, your choice is R9 290 (without an X), it's only $400, but it also 10% weaker than Titan.

Just to note here, GTX Titan is $1000.

cybereality
Level 15
I have the R9 280x on one of my machines. It's a pretty decent kit. Should be enough to run most of the Rift demos out now (since many of them are w/ Unity and the engine is forgiving). Personally if I was buying again I would get the R9 290, since it's a much better card for only $100 more. It also competes favorably to much more expensive cards from Nvidia.

However, if you only have $300 to spend, the 280x is not a bad choice.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

zohan
Level 2
"cybereality" wrote:
I have the R9 280x on one of my machines. It's a pretty decent kit. Should be enough to run most of the Rift demos out now (since many of them are w/ Unity and the engine is forgiving). Personally if I was buying again I would get the R9 290, since it's a much better card for only $100 more. It also competes favorably to much more expensive cards from Nvidia.

However, if you only have $300 to spend, the 280x is not a bad choice.

Thank you for the reply at the end I got:

Sapphire r9 280x poison toxic r9 280x 3g graphics card for 240$ include shipping.

tazer5150
Level 2
yes the 290 is a good one I have put in a lot of time researching this in some games the 290 is better than the 290x. I will getting this for my new rig and I think it will last for a good amount of time with the retail OR if not x2 will. 😉

Slaghton
Level 2
If we had a 4k oculus rift out now I would say go for the card that would better support that resolution.
Ordered: November 9 Processing: 19 Shipped: ??? Delivered: 25