cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please someone convince me

R3TR0
Explorer
Hi, I haven't posted here before or not for a long time, anyway, I ordered the rift on the 12th of Jan, purely because I wanted to have a gap where people had the CV1 for a while and see how it got on with any issues and how its received. Now I am a "power gamer" etc, and love the idea of VR. I'm due my HMD between July 11 and 21 (moved from June). But as my time gets closer the colder my feet get as I see plenty of issues with "online/offline shops possibly receiving the rift before me who pre-ordered" with no official update as to why, just what seems speculation, but hay I understand a contract is a contract, though I thought that was what I entered into when I pre-ordered.

Anyway, not my main the issue I'm having - there isn't much mainstream news/updates/buzz about VR as there was when it was released I get that I can browse/search but that is my point, I have to dig for info not a lot mainstream info and You Tube videos do get posted but non have a lot of views (eg I type CV1 into You Tube, filter set to week).

I am considering waiting for next gen, if indeed there is one.
19 REPLIES 19

GauravGhorpade
Explorer
There are multiple issues here. 
1) Lack of fully developed actual content on VR
2) Steep cost of VR ready PC+headset + lack of content means that VR is not something which makes sense for the average person.
3) IMO: even gen 1 is not mature especially in terms of controllers.
4) Long backorder means that people cannot buy even if they want to. 
5) Buzz is in part driven by companies who profit from VR. Since these companies are having production issues they are not really trying to generate buzz in a big way.

I reckon we are going to see some AR buzz next.
By September we should be seeing a large number of smartphones which will involve VR as the main feature. We might also see mobile VR capable headsets which are dedicated to VR. So basically a smartphone in a headset without any of the phone features.
These ones may have screens with higher resolutions but lower computing power means that you wont be playing any fancy games.

As far as an Oculus gen2 or Vive gen2 is concerned, I think it could be doable with some minor improvements but I am not sure how that is going to leave the early adopters.

So if you are waiting for the next gen of PC-VR, I think you might be waiting till around next Christmas. 

I see some people making VR backpack PC's. That's going to flop IMO.

Edit: There is 100% going to be a next gen of VR. VR holds too much promise for everybody to just give up on it. Also keep in mind companies need to keep growing. If its not going to be VR then what? What do you need better processors or better graphic cards for? 
If you look around, a lot of people have ideas for VR content. Many of these ideas are good ideas which are very much in the realm of possibility. People are giving these ideas away freely and are worried that the people who can actually bring these ideas to life are too busy with their own ideas to listen.
Can you think of any other field/technology in which common people are just bursting with ideas? These are things which people want and things which people will pay for. 
VR is happening. Maybe not as fast you hoped but in 3 years there will definitely be some serious non gaming content IMO. 
Also I wont be surprised to see portable AR in 4 years. That will be even bigger than VR imo. ( I mean an AR headset in a compact form factor+ decent computing in portable format).

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
Your only incentive to wait for your preorder is the free Eve Valkyrie game (instead of cancelling your pre-order).
If you are not a gamer or developer, your cold feet will turn into buyers remorse quickly.
Feeling the anxiety of having to wait for your Rift is sweet, but having one and shelving it is another kind of pain.
If you can wait, make a decision after the touch controllers come out (you will loose your spot in wait list for touch if you cancel).
Or, wait till July 12-21 for your preorder to arrive.
Else, you can get the Rift from a BestBuy like I did, and get the eve game code (you have a valid pre-order) from oculus.
CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC

R3TR0
Explorer
GauravGhorpade, thanks for the input, price is not my issue but if the CV2 will be out this coming Christmas 2016 I will wait and if I purchase the CV1 5 months behind a new CV2 I wont be happy, but if that is 2017 then I may continue with my current order.

As for AR, I personally have no interest at this current time.

The main reason I went for the Rift was I don't like the Vive controllers or the weight of head set, and I would be using it with DCS/Star Citizen along with a couple of the current VR releases and would look at the Vertuix Omni for FPS so also I have no interest in the back pack, I would only see value in the BP in a commercial venture along the lines of Lazer tag.

I would like to hear something from a owner of the CV1, are they happy with there purchase etc.

R3TRO, are you buying an Oculus Rift because you are a gamer and this piece of kit will enhance your gaming and open up to you one of the most exciting advancements in home leisure in years or are you more bothered about how popular it is in the eyes of the world's media?

CV2 out this Christmas?

Please, just cancel and make a bloody Google Cardboard!
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

R3TR0
Explorer
twisteklabs, Yeah Im a heavy gamer and will probably wait for mine to arrive. I was so excited when I ordered but that has diminished over the last few months with nothing notable being mentioned in the press except bad news etc. I guess I will see over the next month or so.

Main point for me that you make is my spot for the controllers.

I want to want one, but right now I don't know for sure.

R3TR0
Explorer
Andyring, lol.... I may just do that, someone more worthy can get one a little sooner don't you think?

weasel47
Heroic Explorer
@R3TR0 CV2 will definitely not be out in 2016. Christmas 2017 is what was meant, and even that was pure speculation. I think it could easily be later than that. Oculus isn't making money on the hardware, after all. They may wait until they can make improvements on every aspect of the device.

There's no rush to cancel your pre-order. If the Rift becomes readily available in stores before your pre-order arrives (which I highly doubt) you can buy one and then cancel.

I am a very happy CV1 owner myself. It's not perfect, but it's still awesome. There are many exciting things about it, but as a gamer the thing that excites me the most is how it feels like the way games were always meant to be played. It's like we've been watching games through a window the whole time and we're finally stepping out into the "real" world of gaming (and the irony of that idea is not lost on me).

R3TR0
Explorer
Weasel47, thanks for your view, yeah after putting my thoughts in the forum that's the conclusion I have come to... Even if it does not work out for as a medium it is no great financial loss. Ever since I pre-ordered I put DCS and such games/sims on the back burner until I received my HMD and maybe being away from the games I wanted the rift for has tempered my initial enthusiasm. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

R3TR0 said:

GauravGhorpade, thanks for the input, price is not my issue but if the CV2 will be out this coming Christmas 2016 I will wait and if I purchase the CV1 5 months behind a new CV2 I wont be happy, but if that is 2017 then I may continue with my current order.

[snip]

I don't think there's any reliable word on when CV2 (or Vive 2) will be out. The only reliable comment I've seen (for what it's worth) is the suggestion from Oculus VR that they're anticipating a faster life-cycle than consoles, but slower than smartphones.

If (and that's a big if) their expectation pans out, then I guess we'd be looking at 2 to 3 years between VR headset versions? And if the VR market takes off more slowly than expected, it's hard to tell if manufacturers will react by trying to get better headsets out quickly to give uptake a prod, or if they'll wait for the market to grow before risking investment in a new generation.