cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible (and beneficial) to run 4 sensors?

droseofc
Protege

Is it possible and beneficial to have a four sensor setup? With the idea that you have more than enough 3.0 USB ports, or the idea that compatability hardware-wise is not an issue. I have 3 sensors now, no issues, plenty of 3.0 usb ports with their own usb hosts. Googling brings up results from 2016/early 2017 talking about Oculus updating to be compatible with 4 sensors but not much of anything more recent. I mean, if you have the hardware to run it, could you run as many sensors as you wanted? When does it become incompatible?

4 REPLIES 4

Richooal
Consultant

droseofc said:

Is it possible and beneficial to have a four sensor setup?........

.........I have 3 sensors now, no issues,.........

If you have no issues, why are you even considering adding another sensor?
I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I run 4 sensors and no problems, but yea of course - if 3 works for you no point in adding another really. I believe 4 is the "soft" limit at this time, but my understanding there isn't really a "hard" limit for it not work with more.

Anything greater than 4 or more tracking area will mostly need to be to have an addition to the current tracking system. For example, having both the headset and controllers use inside out tracking along with outside in tracking to give you the best of the best tracking. Even still - there are still hard limits even with that, but at that point - what really needs that?

Anyways, go 4 if you really want to have another senor for those times you are not really facing 1 or more sensors (like a od shape play area) like I have.

droseofc
Protege

Mradr said:

I run 4 sensors and no problems, but yea of course - if 3 works for you no point in adding another really. I believe 4 is the "soft" limit at this time, but my understanding there isn't really a "hard" limit for it not work with more.

Anything greater than 4 or more tracking area will mostly need to be to have an addition to the current tracking system. For example, having both the headset and controllers use inside out tracking along with outside in tracking to give you the best of the best tracking. Even still - there are still hard limits even with that, but at that point - what really needs that?

Anyways, go 4 if you really want to have another senor for those times you are not really facing 1 or more sensors (like a od shape play area) like I have.

I think with any less than 4 minimum there will always be at least one spot that youll be in a position that your back is towards all of the cameras. With 3(2 in back 1 in front) if you are facing either left or right on the outer boundaries your hand is going be floating where its not supposed to be. I would compare it to a surround sound setup like a 7 channel, but 2 in front 1 on each side and 2 in back. To me that eliminates any "dead zones" . If you play 360 full scale then without a doubt you have experienced the interurrupting dead zones if you have 3 or less sensors. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I finally got 4 sensors working by upgrading USB card.  Quad Chip, 4-Port Dedicated USB 3 PCIe Host Card.
All Sensors running USB3 perfectly!