cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with intermittent black screen during Dirt Rally races

jwb1971
Explorer
Hi,

I recently picked up the Core 2.0 beta and dutifully updated my graphics card drivers. Today I wanted to play Dirt Rally and ran into a problem during races. I would have moments where the screen on my HMD would go black (but I could still hear sound and still steer the car). It would sometimes come back on the screen but obviously this is no way to drive.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

I suspect it's the graphics card driver update but maybe it's the Core 2.0 software? Anyone know if that could cause a problem like this?

Thanks,
Jon
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jwb1971
Explorer
So it appears Rift Core 2.0 was the culprit. I just played about 40 minutes of Dirt Rally and there were no issues.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I used to get something similar in Assetto Corsa but was before Core 2.0 - found it was my Citrix Receiver client running causing me this these momentary black screens.

Tadin
Heroic Explorer
Make sure you have the Oculus Tray tool and that all the power saving options are turned off, power issues can sometimes cause the screen to turn Black.

Also, do you only have the Wheel plugged in when playing Dirt Rally ? Maybe thats taking just enough USB power to turn the screen black, but its fine when the wheel isnt plugged in. Maybe try the wheel in a different USB HUB.

R0cky49
Explorer
Had similar issue with my rift last week.  The black screen periods became more frequent and longer.  When through Support, checked logs, etc.  In the end, it turned out to be an issue with my Cable that connects the headset.  I noticed a small kink under the strap on the headset that secures the cable.  I carefully untwisted the kink and black screens when away.  I have a new cable enroute, purchased from Oculus

jwb1971
Explorer

Tadin said:

Make sure you have the Oculus Tray tool and that all the power saving options are turned off, power issues can sometimes cause the screen to turn Black.

Also, do you only have the Wheel plugged in when playing Dirt Rally ? Maybe thats taking just enough USB power to turn the screen black, but its fine when the wheel isnt plugged in. Maybe try the wheel in a different USB HUB.

Interesting thing... I launched the game again without the wheel plugged in and was able to play with the Xbox controller without the screen going black. I just wonder why there were no issues with the wheel before and now there are. I am going to plug in the wheel later and try to play with the controller (just letting the wheel be active but not using it). I'll let you know if it still works or not.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
I had to revert back to the offical release because Core was causing issues with dead Effect 2, i had 4 hands in the game with Core installed. lol

And i had a hours of Dirt rally today with no issues, oh and i am on drivers 385.69 which seem to be the best for now.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

jwb1971
Explorer

OmegaM4N said:

I had to revert back to the offical release because Core was causing issues with dead Effect 2, i had 4 hands in the game with Core installed. lol

And i had a hours of Dirt rally today with no issues, oh and i am on drivers 385.69 which seem to be the best for now.

What does "drivers 385.69" mean?

jwb1971
Explorer
So, I plugged the wheel in but used the controller and something weird happened. If my virtual head was in the car the screen would be black. But if I stepped back a bit everything came into view and I could drive from outside the car (like I was standing up in the back of a pickup truck) - it was really weird. Stranger thing too was that I could see the inside of the car.. all the gauges functioned and everything, so it wasn't a case of the game not being able to render the scene because of the interior. I unplugged the wheel at this time but still had the weird "stand outside and drive" issue.

So I played a few races like this and decided to check my settings. Well, turns out I wasn't in full screen mode. I put this on and then was able to sit inside the cockpit (but only use the controller). Now that I had resolved that issue I decided to plug the wheel back in to see if maybe the full screen setting was the original problem after all. Low and behold the screen started flickering and going black again.

I will try a different USB bus to see if that helps.

thanks,
Jon

jwb1971
Explorer
Here's an update. I bought Artika.1 during a recent sale and started playing last night. When I would extend my hands out to about arms length the screen would go black. I could still hear sounds and interact with objects... but no visuals. When I pulled my hands back toward my body the image came back. As you can imagine this was a real immersion breaker and ruined the first part of the game for me 😞

I rolled back the beta Core 2.0 Rift software and the problem went away. I am going to try Dirt Rally and see if the issue is cleared up as well. My thought is that it will be but I'll let you all know soon.

jwb1971
Explorer
So it appears Rift Core 2.0 was the culprit. I just played about 40 minutes of Dirt Rally and there were no issues.