cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 prices are going up on 1st August

kojack
MVP
MVP

Meta has just announced that they are raising the price of the Quest 2 by $100 on 1st August. The 128GB Quest 2 will be $399 and the 256GB will be $499.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/meta-quest-2-pricing-changes/

The price of accessories is going up too (but they haven't said by how much).

If you buy a Quest 2 between August 1 and December 31, you will get a free copy of Beat Saber.

So if you want a Quest 2, might be a good idea to grab one before Monday, then not set it up until the new Meta account system replaces Facebook accounts in August (not sure when in August).

The blog above also mentions Cambria coming out later this year, but that's going to be WAY more expensive than this and isn't a Quest replacement.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
27 REPLIES 27

Thanks for the link to Carmack's tweet! I especially took to this part:

"Still, there are some potential consumer upsides to not heavily subsidizing the headsets"

This falls in line with my own thinking. But I do agree with him that whether this provides any true good value is very unclear. I wouldn't be surprised if this is something that Meta ends up rolling back sooner rather than later.

Yeah my first thought was the same. The two events... ditching Facebook and the price increase are tightly linked with loss of subsidy. I don't think I'm the only one who was ok with the Facebook requirement on the basis that we get the kit cheap and then just choose not use FB if we don't like it... seemed like a win to me but it was always an emotive thing for many people.... so, more expensive it is and hopefully everyone's happy... well, happier maybe 🙂

@kojack, I'm quite stoked for the Quest Pro but I have a budget. I really wanted colour pass-through when the Quest 2 was first announced and AR that comes with it. Pancake lenses, mechanical IPD adjustments and Rift-S levels of comfort could add up to an unbeatable headset even putting resolution hikes and performance to one side. I just can't see myself paying more than £1,000 though, no matter how good it is.

My Quest 2 is just about holding together after I snagged the cable with my foot while charging and it flew across the room. The USB port on the headset isn't quite right now and it only charges with the cable in one way round, I may get a replacement before the price rise.... I don't think a Quest Pro would be suitable for every-day use away from home or media watching, unless it has the option of a strap that lets you rest your head back on a sofa.

SCDaemon
Explorer

I'd rather they added an extra hundred quid to the price and I could still play my Rift games, what a joke that was. I would totally understand if they said look some of these rift games just don't work on quest but you can download anything in your library that does work on quest. That was not the case. You can manually check each game one by one to see if the devs will recharge you by going to the store and wasting all that time you'd hoped to spend playing on a really depressingly irritating activity instead. Sure great idea. Thanks guys. 

Let's keep the topic of this thread to the price change only to avoid confusion in case anyone's looking for info about it. If your having issues with playing Rift games on Quest 2, you can post in Support and Meta Store Support reps will be happy to help out. Thanks!

Genesis does what Nintendon't! Send me a DM if you have questions. I'm happy to help!

cmat100
Adventurer

There is also worldwide inflation and a silicon shortage, thanks to the pandemic - and a Russian madman is sending energy prices sky high.

synchromesh62
Expert Protege

Or it could be just be to help recuperate the losses since 2020. simple as that.
Which im ok with. It was to cheap anyway.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Meta's financial situation after the Apple hit to advertising revenue probably influenced them a bit too. 🙂

Still, it feels odd to see something go up in price 2 years after release without a hardware change. This would have made more sense back when they replaced the 64GB Quest 2 with 128GB. Maybe throw in a Link cable instead of the short charging cable.

And yeah, that damn chip shortage. My SlimeVR (full body wireless mocap suit for VR) is delayed until November because they need 32000 IMU chips to do the production run but could only order 5000., so they have to test moving to a different chip.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

I feel like Meta should offer at least $100 in free software credit. Similar to when they launched Oculus Touch for the Rift CV1, at $200, but we received nearly $200 of free software in the process.

@Zenbane wrote:

I feel like Meta should offer at least $100 in free software credit. Similar to when they launched Oculus Touch for the Rift CV1, at $200, but we received nearly $200 of free software in the process.

I agree that this would have made the price increase much more palatable.  Adding a $30 BS game that isn't even cross-buy is not all that attractive.

The Q2 128 and 256 versions are still in stock today (31 July here already) at old prices at both my local Amazon and Meta stores.  I'm surprised that Amazon still has stock.  I was thinking about buying another Q2 so I could leave one connected with Link and the other one left wireless (standalone or Air Link).  However, now that Air Link is out of experimental it's soooo easy to switch between Link/Air Link so I don't think I'll bother.  With v42 once you've paired Air Link you don't need to do this again (like you needed to do pre-v42) and  with OTT it takes 2 seconds to change bitrates.

If you can trust the latest Meta Leaks it looks like the Quest Pro (aka Cambria) will be shipped end of Oct/2022.  The price is reported to be us$1.500 and this will include the headset, new camera-equipped controllers, cables, and a base station charging unit for both headset and controllers.  Apparently the new controllers and charging station will be compatible with the Q2 and will be available for us$300.  Never say never but I doubt that either of these are going to be on my Xmas 2022 wish list.

Here's a link with the latest leak info.  Probably still need to take this with a grain of salt, lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmBCOXXpiS0

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

There has been talk of the headset being sold without controllers. I'd heard the current Quest controllers will be compatible with it, but it may work both ways, with the new controllers being compatible with the current Quest as you say Tom.

I don't have any issues with Quest controller accuracy or occlusion so would prefer to buy separately at a later date if reviews say they bring something new to the table of are noticeably better. Battery life and hot swappable batteries for me are potentially a bigger deal unless accuracy is somehow noticable... if hand tracking is going to play a bigger roll and be improved in the future, I'd question this route unless it remains optional.

The pro is a test bed so I guess everything should be brought to the table regardless of cost (within limits),

Itll be interesting to see who buys the pro, I'd say it's for early adopters and developers of AR and colaberative software, using the colour passthrough and face tracking for better interacting and colaberation. I'm really interested but I have to think about how much use I'd get out of the specific tech included and that I'd be paying a reasonably big price for.

Anyway, I just bought a backup Quest 2, Meta's site for the UK still has the lower price, Argos has the higher price and John Lewis is out of stock with probably means they're updating their price!