cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 prices are going up on 1st August

kojack
MVP
MVP

Meta has just announced that they are raising the price of the Quest 2 by $100 on 1st August. The 128GB Quest 2 will be $399 and the 256GB will be $499.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/meta-quest-2-pricing-changes/

The price of accessories is going up too (but they haven't said by how much).

If you buy a Quest 2 between August 1 and December 31, you will get a free copy of Beat Saber.

So if you want a Quest 2, might be a good idea to grab one before Monday, then not set it up until the new Meta account system replaces Facebook accounts in August (not sure when in August).

The blog above also mentions Cambria coming out later this year, but that's going to be WAY more expensive than this and isn't a Quest replacement.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
27 REPLIES 27

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Not overly surprising, nor does it sound unreasonable to me.  I always thought the Q2 was way under-priced, and in turn, this made it almost impossible for others to compete in this market.

Since our local Amazon store still has 128Gb and 256Gb in stock I may look at picking up one (probably the 128Gb) this week, before the price increase.  That way I can leave my 2yo OG 64Gb Q2 wired to my PC with Link cable (mainly for sims and high demand games) and use the 128Gb for mobile and wireless PCVR with Air Link.  This will also give me lots of spares, lol!

No way I'm going to get the Cambria (Quest 2 Pro?) so I think that the Q2's should do me for some time to come.  I kinda doubt we'll see a Q3 much before the end of next year and I'll just evaluate things then.

It will be interesting to see how this us$100 price increase effects sales but I imagine it will boost sales a lot prior to 1st of August, lol!

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

kojack
MVP
MVP

John Carmack had some interesting things to say about this on twitter. Mainly that he's disappointed that they are doing the price increase and removal of facebook accounts at almost the same time, so it is hard to tell how each affects sales. Higher price means some won't buy, but no facebook account means some hold outs might be persuaded.

Although most of the replies were basically "meta account is identical to facebook account, I won't buy", so they haven't actually looked into what the difference is and are assuming the worst case scenario.

I may or may not get Cambria. If I don't, it will be the only Oculus headset I won't own, and that feels wrong. 🙂

I mainly want full details first. What advantage does it give me over a Quest 2?

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Price increase of the Quest 2 from £299 - £399 August 1st

Just wondering what the thoughts on this is as i have not seen that much about it.
I had an original 64 gig so i have now ordered a 128 gig so the Mrs can have mine and save myself £100 in the process. I guess this means my old Boxed 256 gig Quest 1 may well shoot up in price on the second hand market now if nothing else. 

https://youtu.be/TbLYXSrILTg

Already an earlier thread on this;

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/General/Quest-2-prices-are-going-up-on-1st-August/m-p/975696#M384522

Maybe mods can combine these.  The Q1 never had a 256Gb version.  It only had 64 and 128Gb versions.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

I stand corrected .. It was a long time ago and ages since i used it but yes your right .. 128Gb sorry.
I did do a search before posting my question but nothing showed up 🙂
I did think it was odd i couldnt find anything 

@TomCgcmfc wrote:

Not overly surprising, nor does it sound unreasonable to me.  I always thought the Q2 was way under-priced, and in turn, this made it almost impossible for others to compete in this market.

Yessir. There are plenty of lengthy discussions on the history of this forum where it was generally understood that the reason Quest 2 was priced so low is due to the subsidized cost of requiring the Facebook Account login.

Now that the Facebook Account login is no longer required, then that additional cost is clearly no longer being subsidized; hence the base price increase.

I don't necessary agree nor disagree, I simply understand the math and logic involved.

I am a bit surprised that Carmack is concerned over these two events happening simultaneously (Facebook Account requirement removed + Base Price increased). Carmack is one of the few humans on this Earth whose intellect I admire, so I know he understands the basic rationale. I would be interested in hearing his full argument in order to better understand his point-of-view.

My best guess is that Carmack is viewing this from the perspective of both the market and the consumer; ergo:

• Once a loss leader, always a loss leader
  • Computer tech depreciates over time, yearly, so we cannot increase the base price 2 years after hitting the market

I'm not taking a personal stance one way or another. Yet as a mere observation, it seems to me that Meta has no problems "testing the market." They did this exact type of market test back when they released the Oculus GO.

It is because of the direct result of the Oculus GO's performance on the market that Meta shifted gears and created the Oculus Quest. We only  have a Quest 2 today because of the Oculus GO's market test.

So perhaps Meta is in fact, once again, testing the market with this price increase? Seems a reasonable assumption, especially when we keep the Account Login = Subsidized Cost reality at the forefront of analyzing this decision and strategy.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Not so much that Carmack was concerned, just that if they happened separately it would be easier to see the effect of each. It seemed more curiosity.

@kojack wrote:

Not so much that Carmack was concerned, just that if they happened separately it would be easier to see the effect of each. It seemed more curiosity.

Ah yes, that is definitely understandable. And he does have a point. Not to mention that this gives a bit of insight in to Meta's market position; illustrating that they are in fact fully capable of performing all of these various market tests. It's a fun position to be in, at the very least 🙂

kojack
MVP
MVP

I probably should have used a word other than "disappointed".

Here's his take:

This is a weird framing that isn’t going to do much good. Still, there are some potential consumer upsides to not heavily subsidizing the headsets; the arguments internally around the necessity of maximizing store revenue occasionally conflict with third party business models.

This will be a very important data point. I have always contended that price of entry is very important, while others are more excited about adding new capabilities at higher prices. Seeing what happens now and with the next headset will say a lot about price elasticity.

This information will be somewhat diluted by the removal of Facebook login as a requirement — we will lose many on price, but pick up some never-Facebook users that have been standing by. I wish the two forces could have been tested independently.

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1552016284656746496

I wonder if Pico is going to keep price parity like they've been doing (Pico Neo 3 Link costs the same as a Quest 2 256GB)? Last week they filed 2 new headsets with the FCC: Pico 4 and Pico 4 Pro.