cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Quest Link Issue on quest 2. Can anyone help with this?

xXNoviaXx
Level 3
I recently bought the hp omen 2020 gaming laptop so that I would have a vr ready pc to play games on my oculus quest 2. I have Nvidia Geforce GTX 1160 Ti so it meets the requirements for the quest. Whenever I link my quest to my pc and click a game such as vrchat, my quest shows me in a white room with a screen in front of me with the vrchat logo and says either waiting or loading but the game is on my pc monitor tracking and showing what should be coming from my headset. The screen never does load into my headset. After trying to play through steamvr it just tells me that my headset is not connected to the same video card as my monitor. I'm also using the official quest link cable. Is there anyway I can fix this? I feel like i've tried everything with no solution. 😞
22 REPLIES 22

PITTCANNA
Level 13
Type c isn't always 3.1.  that said sometimes laptops have a setting in there bios or uefi, and it will allow a hard disable.  But what is your laptop cpu and ram ?

TomCgcmfc
Level 15
Ya, if it's the low end HP Omen with AMD series 5 cpu and 8Gb ram, I don't like his chances for good PCVR.  In general, laptops are a very poor choice for PCVR (been there done that).  If you insist on using a laptop for PCVR you need to buy a high end one (probably $2-3,000) with i9 cpu, rtx2070 or better gpu, 16Gb ram or better.  You also need to make sure you get max cooling to avoid thermal shutdowns (maybe using a cooling pad).  You can build/buy a better desktop PC for about half the cost, lol!
i9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

PITTCANNA
Level 13

TomCgcmfc said:

Ya, if it's the low end HP Omen with AMD series 5 cpu and 8Gb ram, I don't like his chances for good PCVR.  In general, laptops are a very poor choice for PCVR (been there done that).  If you insist on using a laptop for PCVR you need to buy a high end one (probably $2-3,000) with i9 cpu, rtx2070 or better gpu, 16Gb ram or better.  You also need to make sure you get max cooling to avoid thermal shutdowns (maybe using a cooling pad).  You can build/buy a better desktop PC for about half the cost, lol!

The big problem is that marketing jack asses, throw around vr ready, or state gaming laptop.  Have no idea what it really means.  Steam vr readiness app doesn't help much, because just because you can do vr with a low spec headset don't mean you should.

TomCgcmfc
Level 15
@PITTCANNA I agree mate.  Best thing to do for guys who get stung with this VR-ready marketing BS is to simply return it and buy something better elsewhere imho.
i9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

PITTCANNA
Level 13

TomCgcmfc said:

@PITTCANNA I agree mate.  Best thing to do for guys who get stung with this VR-ready marketing BS is to simply return it and buy something better elsewhere imho.

Or try virtual desktop as a work around.  But laptop motherboards are finicky.

TomCgcmfc
Level 15

PITTCANNA said:

TomCgcmfc said:

Or try virtual desktop as a work around.  But laptop motherboards are finicky.

Ya, wireless with Virtual Desktop does seem a little better than Link right now but unfortunately not all games are compatible, plus you need a very good Internet/wifi setup (pc wired into your router with ethernet cable and good 5Ghz wifi as close as possible, preferably in the same room.  I have all this and wireless w/VD works great with my Q1.  Still requires a good gpu if you want quality pcvr.  Some guys on the VD discord channel are having luck using Shadow PC streaming with low end pc's but this is not available everywhere and can be kinda expensive. 

PITTCANNA
Level 13
Final thought Try clicking on program settings and add OVRServer_x64.exe to the list and specifically setting that file to use the Nvidia performance card.

Apply all settings , and reboot laptop before trying again

TomCgcmfc
Level 15
Ya, or he could of just gone to the Oculus Quest Link support/troubleshooting to begin with and contacted Occulus support if he needed more assistance.  Link is here;;Oculus

Kinda hard to second guess new guys who don't seem to realize this is a user forum and while we as users can try to help, since these guys rarely provide enough info, like simple PC specs, we are kinda whistling in the dark.  No more whistling for me today, lol!

xXNoviaXx
Level 3

PITTCANNA said:

Type c isn't always 3.1.  that said sometimes laptops have a setting in there bios or uefi, and it will allow a hard disable.  But what is your laptop cpu and ram ?

These are my specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics            2.90 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Ti

TomCgcmfc
Level 15

xXNoviaXx said:

PITTCANNA said:

These are my specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics            2.90 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Ti

Mate, I think you've about exhausted all the tips that users can provide.  As Oculus states in their Link troubleshooting webpage that I provided you in my previous post;

We're aware of an issue where Oculus Link fails to connect compatible laptop models to Quest.

From your headset, you may briefly see a black screen before being returned to your Quest home. On your computer, within the Devices tab, you may consistently see an orange "General device problem" error.

When entering this state for the first time, sometimes you will also see a notification on your PC: "Hardware Notification: Something went wrong and Oculus Link stopped working".

We've isolated this issue to laptops that use NVIDIA GeForce GTX 10xx series notebook GPUs and are actively working with our partners to get a fix in place. Until a more permanent fix is ready, restarting your PC can often fix the issue temporarily.

If you're still having trouble with Oculus Link after restarting your computer, please contact Customer Support for additional troubleshooting.