cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest is selling as fast as we can make them

Anonymous
Not applicable
https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-quest-sales-data-demand-zuckerberg-facebook-earnings-call/

Figure as much 😄 Quest is outselling pretty quickly. As a customer - I also got a few Quest for friends and family. I still don't have a PC headset... but nothing really jump out at me this year sadly. I'll be waiting till their next PC headset for now... Look like there was a lot problems from past post I saw:)

Some predictions I see are:
1) They are going to focus on standalone headsets with more love than the PC line up going forward now (Oculus will focus a lot of time with Quest 2 as we saw with Quest 1 while letting another company to focus on PC headset using what they learn from mobile (good and bad ~))
2) Quest will outsell or come very close PS sell numbers
3) More titles coming to Quest and PC (all good baby)
4) Less problems for customers to get in and out of VR (vision base tracking seems to be a big win for youtubers + kid(s)/parent(s) setup.)
5) Mobile still has a LOT of room for growth/upgrade path in terms of performance, cost, weight, power, size, etc so Quest 2 will see a BIG improvement over Quest 1 release
6) They're going to limit PC line up to better match what the mobile side can do as well so software can play a little catch up between the two (both good and bad)
7) Less owner ship cost for getting into VR (they will focus on upgrades that improvement performance + visuals while not taking as much or no resources to improve them such as improve LCD panel switching speeds and refresh rates while using hardware/software tricks to help lower the cost)
😎 Better software support for devs looking to get their games on both platforms
9) Less jumps in hardware improvements on the PC side even with eye tracking + FOV to help keep cost low as possible + to keep it with in range of what software can do on their other platforms

62 REPLIES 62

inovator
Consultant

Mradr said:

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-quest-sales-data-demand-zuckerberg-facebook-earnings-call/

Figure as much 😄 Quest is outselling pretty quickly. As a customer - I also got a few Quest for friends and family. I still don't have a PC headset... but nothing really jump out at me this year sadly. I'll be waiting till their next PC headset for now... Look like there was a lot problems from past post I saw:)

1) They are going to focus on standalone headsets with more love than the PC line up going forward now (Oculus will focus a lot of time with Quest 2 as we saw with Quest 1 while letting another company to focus on PC headset using what they learn from mobile (good and bad ~))
2) Quest will outsell or come very close PS sell numbers
3) More titles coming to Quest and PC (all good baby)
4) Less problems for customers to get in and out of VR (vision base tracking seems to be a big win for youtubers + kid(s)/parent(s) setup.)
5) Mobile still has a LOT of room for growth/upgrade path in terms of performance, cost, weight, power, size, etc so Quest 2 will see a BIG improvement over Quest 1 release
6) They're going to limit PC line up to better match what the mobile side can do as well so software can play a little catch up between the two (both good and bad)
7) Less owner ship cost for getting into VR (they will focus on upgrades that improvement performance + visuals while not taking as much or no resources to improve them such as improve LCD panel switching speeds and refresh rates while using hardware/software tricks to help lower the cost)
😎 Better software support for devs looking to get their games on both platforms
9) Less jumps in hardware improvements on the PC side even with eye tracking + FOV to help keep cost low as possible + to keep it with in range of what software can do on their other platforms

Agreed. Way back many members got angry when I said I believed stand alone will be of much greater importance to oculus than pc. I said if quest is a huge success the chances of what I said will be a greater possibility. Well quest success is happening. That's the best chance we have to get vr to the masses or at least a stepping stone. If the quest sells in the millions it's 1st year we are going to see triple a games and experiences bigger, better and faster than we hoped.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I think the future will be the PSVR2 on the PS5. The Quest will be a gateway drug.
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Pfft its spinal plugs and thinking caps for a full jacked in experience or im out!
WAAAGH!

I'm very impressed with the Quest, I'm a little disapointed with the lack of new titles at the moment though, so they can't come soon enough.

If, like me, you also have a Rift & Quest, you find yourself very reluctant to buy software that isn't cross-buy. For example, I think I would have bought Moss by now if I had just one headset or the other... but as I have both, I feel like I need to buy both versions of the game to have a choice on which headset to play, so as it's not cross-buy, I've resisted buying it for either.

I'm more likely to buy a game that's exclusive to the Quest strangely enough.

So come on devs cross-buy please.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Mradr said:

Thanks for this @Mradr - some interesting news.
Its fascinating to see MarkZ make reference to this, and will be fun to place this comment against the factory production numbers when they become available at the end of the year. 

Would like to make some Quest Predictions of my own:
- OC6 will see the launch of a new (upgrade) Quest version
- Quest will take 24-months to outsell PSVR
- Multi-player Quest capability for consumer launched
- Quest will be compatible with games from other platforms
- Samsung launches "Quest-killer" Q4
- Quest 2 launched sooner than most people think (smart phone upgrade path)
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah the last comment in that article from Zuck kind of confirms the focus has truly shifted from PC-VR to stand alone going forward. That and the fact he never mentioned the Rift S.

In a few years, we’ve improved the state of the art from the original Rift, which cost $600 and needed to be tethered to a $1000 PC, to now Quest, which costs $400 all-in, and is a superior experience in many ways. There’s going to be even more innovation over the next few years, and we now have the platform we’re going to build on going forward.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I do not question any of the recent posts on this and indeed mobile gaming IS more popular than PC gaming, just as console gaming is more popular than (high end) PC gaming so it is not a shocker that mobileVR will also take off faster than PCVR..
I do not blame Oculus for wanting to be at the forefront of that action........ However my hope is, and I have to believe this is at least technically the case, that PC gaming and PCVR is profitable enough as well to justifying committing to supporting at the high(ish) end as well.
It saddens me that so many people seem to be entrenched in this "mobile vr is the future PCVR is not important" or conversely "Mobile VR is rubbish PCVR is all that matters".

Facebook are loaded........... seriously loaded, with more money than i can conceptually fathom, therefore I would like to think they are big enough to fully commit to supporting both platforms. 
Even if mobile VR is 5x more popular than PC VR......... So long as PCVR is profitable should it not be a case of going big on both markets?.
I dare say the ford fiesta will always sell more than the Ford mustang........... however it does not mean that Ford ditch the mustang brand and only sell fiestas
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

dburne said:

Yeah the last comment in that article from Zuck kind of confirms the focus has truly shifted from PC-VR to stand alone going forward. That and the fact he never mentioned the Rift S.

Yes, that seems to now be treated as the reality - even though it was known to be happening way back last year with certain departures. It's also a factor why we are not really seeing any realistic comments about "CV2" - but more how to make a Quest more like a CV1 (the whole avoidance of mentioning Rift-S was very telling!) It was a given that this is what Facebook would focus on - it just took longer to admit it than was health.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

dburne said:

and is a superior experience in many ways. 

Hmmmm. Depends what you look for in VR. But looking at native Quest games compared to the same games on a tethered headset and there is no contest really. Racket Fury being one of them. Going back to the Quest version after playing on the index is like a serious downgrade in visuals and gameplay.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.