cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest: why I won't be buying it

Choronzon
Adventurer
The fact that Quest is using the same lenses as Go - flogging Fresnels for all their worth, which is not much - speaks volumes as to Oculus/Zuckerburg's apparent blind spot, the large visual sour spot would be more appropriate. 

I won't harp on about the lens-flares and ring-ghosting (awful when viewing video in a void environment), and how the doubts ended in disbelief when I peered through transparent pebbles masquerading as quality lenses.

Previous experience with accursed Fresnels - Fove, Go, Mirage Solo - has taught me a couple of things: first, don't believe the hype. Second, if it's Fresnel spit on it.

14 REPLIES 14

herne6210
Protege
I just want better res and improved optics to play my favourite flight /space sims.

I think the software updated recently and it now asks me to acknowledge a warning by pressing a key. 

To Oculus staff, If you want me to press a key to acknowledge your warning fine, though I much preferred the old way or looking at it for a moment, but please do not force me to use your peripherals. I have a perfectly good KB which is always handy on my desk. Allow me to use that to acknowledge the warning if I want to.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I own GO and Rift, both at release. I'm buying Quest because my experience with ongoing active use of these products has been stellar.

Choronzon
Adventurer
I am completely Fresnel intolerant, which is a shame, because I'd love to slum it with Fresnels if only to enjoy watching video in anything other than the DK2.

Looking through the aspheric lenses of the DK2 I'm still impressed with the lens quality compared to those headsets I mentioned (to make matters worse warping is present in the Solo lenses, which makes my detestation of Fresnels almost pathological). I doubt if the aspheric lens was even considered for Quest. In a sea of Fresnel headsets Quest could've offered something different - no godrays, no ring-ghosting, and CA is no worse than it is in Fresnels, at least not in my dev kit..

Anonymous
Not applicable

herne6210 said:

I just want better res and improved optics to play my favourite flight /space sims.

I think the software updated recently and it now asks me to acknowledge a warning by pressing a key. 

To Oculus staff, If you want me to press a key to acknowledge your warning fine, though I much preferred the old way or looking at it for a moment, but please do not force me to use your peripherals. I have a perfectly good KB which is always handy on my desk. Allow me to use that to acknowledge the warning if I want to.

You should be able to turn that off in Settings on the desktop app.

I won't be getting a Quest because I'm all about high-end PC VR, mind you I won't turn down a free one if they give them out to developers if I ever get around to joining Oculus Start. 😄

LZoltowski
Champion

Choronzon said:

I am completely Fresnel intolerant, which is a shame, because I'd love to slum it with Fresnels if only to enjoy watching video in anything other than the DK2.

Looking through the aspheric lenses of the DK2 I'm still impressed with the lens quality compared to those headsets I mentioned (to make matters worse warping is present in the Solo lenses, which makes my detestation of Fresnels almost pathological). I doubt if the aspheric lens was even considered for Quest. In a sea of Fresnel headsets Quest could've offered something different - no godrays, no ring-ghosting, and CA is no worse than it is in Fresnels, at least not in my dev kit..

The GO has much-reduced god rays for me at least, compared with the rift, almost non-existent.

It's a cost thing, glass lenses are costly to make and heavy, fresnel lenses are cheap to make and are much lighter.

They spoke about using Pancake Lenses for the future, but the tech is not ready yet.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Yep, there's Fresnels and then there's Fresnels. Go and Quest have the latter, hope that clears it up.

Stryker1000
Heroic Explorer

Choronzon said:

The GO has much-reduced god rays for me at least, compared with the rift, almost non-existent.

It's a cost thing, glass lenses are costly to make and heavy, fresnel lenses are cheap to make and are much lighter.

They spoke about using Pancake Lenses for the future, but the tech is not ready yet.

well if this is the case ...then I think I too l will wait.  if the user experience is not that much better than the existing one …. I simply cannot justify it .I`ve Tolerated the god rays but that`s  because I Knew what I was getting myself in for. But I refuse spend more  money for the same experience  

LZoltowski
Champion

Choronzon said:

well if this is the case ...then I think I too l will wait.  if the user experience is not that much better than the existing one …. I simply cannot justify it .I`ve Tolerated the god rays but that`s  because I Knew what I was getting myself in for. But I refuse spend more  money for the same experience  

Do you have a GO?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

I can't wait to launch myself across the room with one of these on my bonce!

£399 is a deal.  It's a steal.  It's the sale of the flipping century!
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3