cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest2 - Subscription for Apps Coming

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kevinw729_2-1618510116537.png

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
49 REPLIES 49

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I'd consider subscribing to Valve's new monthly levels in Alyx, if such levels were planned, can't really think of anything else I'd want to subscribe to, lol. And no, I do not pay MS for Office programs each month either. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

I am... not sure how I feel about this. I mean, doesn't Supernatural already charge $19 a month? There's a reason I decided to not try Supernatural last year. That reason is the fact the free app is merely a trial, and then they start billing you.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

PITTCANNA
Visionary

The software as a subscription model is a terrible idea.

The fitness community uses this rationale to make more money.

I had a service similar to peloton you don't own the software outright and you can't play if you don't pay.

This means that fitxr will morph into a 9.99 per month subscription. I saw this coming when fitxr updated from boxvr, 

$10 per month are $120 each year, at least twice the price of Alyx. The PCVR version of Fit XR gotta be real good then, lol, because surely no bottom-end Quest app is worth $120.

Also I'm not fond of neither boxing nor dancing in VR 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Too late, it already did... 3 days ago.

Do we now have to worry about apps like Beat Saber becoming subscription based too?

unfortunately yes anything can go subscription.  

Its how the industry milks people.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

I don't mind paying a monthly fee for a service if it's worth the money. I'll happily subscribe to an MMO that I enjoy and feel I got my money's worth due to the fact I can spend 3 or 4 hours a day playing it, sometimes more. I'll subscribe to a streaming service like Netflix happily, and when I decide I'm not getting my money's worth at the moment I drop the subscription. Hell, I periodically subscribe to Marvel Unlimited so I can read comics for a month or two.

But from what I've seen, Fit XR and Supernatural don't justify a monthly or yearly fee. You're not going to a gym and using their equipment under the guidance of a fitness instructor. You're doing a canned routine. It's the same as fitness VHS like the Sweating to the Oldies series. And from the reviews of Supernatural, even the coaches are prerecorded and not reacting to what you are actually doing. They might be worth the price if it was a single payment to buy the app. But sucking you in by claiming to be free, then charging by the month? No thanks.

If I want a coached exercise routine, I'll hook up my Xbox 360 Kinect again and put in Your Shape. That at least will actively correct your stance in real time and guide you in doing the exercises correctly. And best of all, it doesn't try charging me a monthly fee for the privilege of falling on my face in exhaustion.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kevinw729_0-1618513496411.png

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

No, Games As A Service as EA envisioned and others copied is... a scam. It is "We'll sell you a game at full price, but it's not the complete game. And it's horribly unbalanced so you are always going to be at a severe disadvantage... unless you give us more money. Keep giving us more money, and things will stay balanced. But the second you stop you'll get hosed again. Oh, and you also have to buy spins on a horribly unfair roulette wheel to have a insanely small chance to actually get any of that content that you're already paying a monthly fee for."