cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about using Prescription Lens (with Oculus Rift CV1)

Gico
Protege

Hi guys,

my eyes are still good enough, but, like usually happens if you are over 50, I'm far-sighted and need glasses for reading.

Using Oculus, I can't say that my view is blurry, but I'm wondering if it could be better using lens.

So I'm going to print (3D print) an adapter (found in Thingiverse) and order lens from Zenni and give it a try.

Just a question: my prescription (by ophthalmologist) reports 2 different series of values: one "for distance" and one "for reading".

Which one have I to consider for ordering lens for Oculus Rift? 

Thank you in advance

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
I held off for nearly 2 years before getting my WidmoVR lenses for my CV1. I've been short sighted all my life and now, through age, I'm also in need of reading glasses. I thought I could see okay without the prescription lenses, but really it's so much better with them. I wish I'd done it earlier.

The very special lenses in the headset create a focal length of approx. 1.5m (4ft 11inches for those that haven't moved on). So that's roughly the distance in front of you that you will be actually focussing on when you wear the Rift.
This means for me that I use the distance part of my prescription when ordering lenses. You would need to do the same.

If the numbers help you, here's what mine looked like...............
zomtunwejgsi.jpg

P.S. Could not more highly recommend WidmoVR if you decide to have the whole thing made up.

Gico
Protege
Hi,
thank you so much for help.
Well, if the focal length needed for Oculus is about 1.5m, I'd say that I don't need lenses, as I actually have no problems focusing at that distance. 
Probably some small ammount of blurriness (compared to a standard PC LCD display) is quite normal for Oculus optics and using additional lens wouldn't improve sight quality for me. 

wuzp
Rising Star
I've been thinking about prescription lenses myself; and have seen that there are several providers.  But does anyone have any thoughts on manufacturing processes?  Some places claim the use of 3D printing; but is the quality of a 3D printed lens "as good as" one that is ground from a polycarbonate blank?

Anonymous
Not applicable
You won't be able to get a 3D printed lens. 3D printing is nowhere near good enough, if anything is 3D printed from providers it'll be the frame that the lenses fit in.

Go for WidmoVR, they're the best company of the lot.

Gico
Protege
Obvioulsy 3D printing is intended for the frame, and NOT for lenses.
For  those who are familiar in 3D printing this is the link for the model of the frame and the instructions by the maker.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1602460

wuzp
Rising Star

snowdog said:

You won't be able to get a 3D printed lens. 3D printing is nowhere near good enough, if anything is 3D printed from providers it'll be the frame that the lenses fit in.

Go for WidmoVR, they're the best company of the lot.

I know some companies are already 3D printing rocket engine parts; so I had no reason to question this quote from the WidmoVR site: "This product will be printed with the highest quality 3D printer available on the market..."

And LUXEXCEL does 3D printing of optical lenses.