cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Racing cockpits and everyday Oculus use?

Marconi
Explorer
Was wondering how you chaps are setup with your rigs - notably your racing cockpits and everyday use of your PC etc?
I have a Rseat Rs1 on order as my love is Assetto Corsa. It will have a keyboard stand so will be able to access my PC etc. this obviously will be a permanent setup.the point is, is this setup a pain in the backside when wanting to use the oculus with other demos/experiences and games? Do you use the cockpit for emailing, surfing, etc? (I do have my MacBook pro for for all that stuff) what are good solutions?
APPLE LOVE iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro, iMac GTX 970, 16GB, Water-cooled MONSTER.
33 REPLIES 33

Marconi
Explorer
"tinimark" wrote:
That's right. I'm lucky enough to have some space in my man cave for that.
The cockpit is a bit of a struggle to get in and out and not really very good for keyboard and mouse stuff.

Also, i like being able to look right around in some demos and that's much easier to do on a swivel chair rather than a racing chair.

So how do you manage with the monitor so far at the side when trying to setup racing games etc? Is that not a problem for you? Unless you have another method? For example Assetto Corsa needs to be switched back and forth so you can use the menus etc.

tinimark
Explorer
The only thing i've tried in the cockpit so far is Elite. I have not tried any racing games yet.

For elite, I basically set everything up on the monitor stood up and then when it was as I wanted it, switched it to VR and play in the cockpit.

I didn't realise you had to keep swapping screens for Assetta Corsa...that could get a bit tiresome.

TomSD
Honored Guest
"marconi" wrote:
For example Assetto Corsa needs to be switched back and forth so you can use the menus etc.

This is not entirely accurate. The Assetto Corsa menus run in a window which can be resized and dragged around on the screen. I set the DK2 as primary, move the window onto the DK2, close one eye, and drag the window around by its title bar so that the part I need is visible with whichever eye I'm using at the moment. Voila! Entire game + menus all in the Rift. Yeah it's a bit of a hassle to use one eye and juggle the window positioning, but not nearly as much as taking off the headphones + Rift, getting out of the racing seat, going over to the desk, fiddling with the menus, sitting back down in the racing seat, and putting it all back on again.

Now that I'm stuck using direct mode for iRacing (it has bad latency in extended mode), I find myself missing the ability to do the one-eyed trick. But I suppose it's probably for the best. One should probably not wear the Rift for several hours without taking a break from it. 🙂

Btw, I do racing, flying, and all VR demos from the same cockpit. Not optimal but it gets the job done. The DK2 cable is not long enough for me to use it from my regular desk.
i7-4770K, 2x GTX 780 SLI, Windows 7 64-bit, Oculus runtime 0.6.0.0

Marconi
Explorer
"TomSD" wrote:
"marconi" wrote:
For example Assetto Corsa needs to be switched back and forth so you can use the menus etc.

This is not entirely accurate. The Assetto Corsa menus run in a window which can be resized and dragged around on the screen. I set the DK2 as primary, move the window onto the DK2, close one eye, and drag the window around by its title bar so that the part I need is visible with whichever eye I'm using at the moment. Voila! Entire game + menus all in the Rift. Yeah it's a bit of a hassle to use one eye and juggle the window positioning, but not nearly as much as taking off the headphones + Rift, getting out of the racing seat, going over to the desk, fiddling with the menus, sitting back down in the racing seat, and putting it all back on again.

Now that I'm stuck using direct mode for iRacing (it has bad latency in extended mode), I find myself missing the ability to do the one-eyed trick. But I suppose it's probably for the best. One should probably not wear the Rift for several hours without taking a break from it. 🙂

Btw, I do racing, flying, and all VR demos from the same cockpit. Not optimal but it gets the job done. The DK2 cable is not long enough for me to use it from my regular desk.

I stand corrected! I will try the your technique with Assetto - thanks. 🙂

Sarsippius
Honored Guest
I have an Obutto Ozone with the acrylic tabletop and a single 30" screen and completely replaced my desk so I don't see any reason why you will need a separate area for playing other games on the rift. Only if you needed to stand for a particular game/demo.
I don't do any serious work but any web surfing, managing personal accounts, using the rift etc is all done in the cockpit.

Marconi
Explorer
"Sarsippius" wrote:
I have an Obutto Ozone with the acrylic tabletop and a single 30" screen and completely replaced my desk so I don't see any reason why you will need a separate area for playing other games on the rift. Only if you needed to stand for a particular game/demo.
I don't do any serious work but any web surfing, managing personal accounts, using the rift etc is all done in the cockpit.

Would be nice to see how your setup? A picture speaks a thousand words 🙂

metalnwood
Protege
What I did in the end was not use my racing rig for desktop duties.

I now have one computer connected to a flight sim and a racing sim and I just point the camera in the direction of the pit I am sitting in.

I would suggest that you have a desk next to your racing rig with a second KB/mouse and monitor. The monitor can duplicate the one on your rig. On mine I have two monitors duplicating each other and the rift as well.

Sarsippius
Honored Guest
"marconi" wrote:
"Sarsippius" wrote:

Would be nice to see how your setup? A picture speaks a thousand words 🙂

I posted theses on another forum quite some time ago, in a new house and have the Fanatec CS wheel and pedals now but you'll get the idea, btw so there's no suspicion with the link or anything it's Australian Racing Simulation Enthusiasts 😄

http://arseforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=17136&start=25#p332880

firstdayreviews
Honored Guest
this is my setup

Join me on facebook and youtube to win free games monthly! Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/fdreviews Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/fdreviews

Gomoto
Honored Guest
DIY wooden base for a used car seat (The same one installed in my real life C1 car.) = 100 bucks (seat included)
Keyboard on a board above my lap attached to the desk drawers, just beneath my wheel. = 5 bucks (also a good joystick stand / mouse pad)
4K UHD Display above my wheel, replaced my triples (Triples had to go, rift is that much better. A GTX 970 Card that is able to drive my rift, is also able to drive 4K 8-) )

This setup is good for any kind of driving/flying/diving simulation and for any kind of work at hand.