cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading with Rift

steverowland
Honored Guest
Hello, I have not had the option to try Rift anywhere but most projects I see are dedicated to games.
My question is if it is possible to have a comfortable reading screen as well.
The advantage I see in Rift is that I could lay down in any position and not have to face actual screen or hold any reader in hand.
But is this even possible without the text being distorted. Would longer segments of text be readable?

Also what about other 2d applications (such as card games and similar), would they look good too or is Rift mostly only working with applications with 3d environment such as 3d games?
2 REPLIES 2

geekmaster
Protege
Considering that even some wristwatches have built-in eBook readers, yes, you could do this. Especially with the Deskope program from AngelJ which does not distort text with pre-warp processing (just a simple rectangular image copy). I recommend using a lightweight eink eBook reader instead, like a Kindle Paperwhite. But for reading text while already IMMERSED in Vr, yes, it can be done (and it will get better with future increased resolution).

steverowland
Honored Guest
Thank you for the answer. I will definitely look closer at the Desktope program.
I agree that Kindle is very good for books but it is still something you need to hold in hand. And also not only I mean books, also internet articles, reviews and blog posts or text focused games such as older RPGs or Visual Novels.

Then we would only need eye scanner to replace mouse cursor and some brain sensor to have some bindable commands for left and right click and we get the best desktop virtual environment [but that is still in the future I guess] 🙂

(it would all improve my project "Virtual Bed" which currently has to have wall mounted screens, only allowing for single position [on back] and not some other positions [lateral, prone].)