cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Render Resolution and Oculus Link

CydianBryce
Honored Guest

I am trying to understand the relationship between the Oculus App render resolution, what Link does with it and what the headset receives.

From what I have read so far, increasing the render resolution from its default of 1x improves headset image quality because a curved image is needed to cater for the lens distortion.

This higher res image is generated by the game on the PC and then Link encodes it at the headset’s native resolution - effectively downscaling the high res image back to 1x.

Is that right?

In the Oculus Debug Tool (ODT) we no longer need to set a high encode width as this now defaults to the headset native res - is that correct? 

But do we still need to set a non default bitrate for better results? That said, I use Air Link and set the dynamic bit rate at 200 via the headset so presumably that negates anything set in the ODT?

If the PC game (e.g. MSFS) applies a render scale, is this just a multiplier to the render resolution - e.g. a render resolution of 4192 in the app and render scale of 75 = an image of resolution 4192 x 0.75 being rendered on the PC and then downscaled by Link?

Thanks for any insight. 

Apologies if this is a re-post. I posted yesterday (I thought) but now cant find it anywhere.

0 REPLIES 0