cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Required Facebook for authentication ???

PendragonDK
Honored Guest
I have recently heard, that soon it will be required to authenticate yourself using a facebook account - and if you dont have a facebook account, then it's impossible to login to Oculus at all - please tell me that this is fake news!

When I bought my headsets, it was not required to have a facebook account - currently it's necessary in order to use chat functions, friendslist etc (pretty wierd as it was functioning VERY WELL before it was "suddently" required!

If you suddently require a facebook-account to login to Oculus at all - I expect to be reimbursed for all the games I purchased, so I can buy them on another platform instead, as I do NOT want to use facebook at all, ever since I caught the Facebook and Messenger APPs performing industrial espionage by eavesdropping on my phone, potentially compromising international stock-pricing !

14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had a rift for a few years now and i love the controllers and was generally pleased with oculus. I was seriously considering buying a quest in the next few months....BUT...thankfully i found out about this FB BS before i did. i get that its not a big deal for a lot of people, but i walked away from FB three years ago and it was one of the best choices I've made in a long time. one customer won't make a difference, particularity with FB's money backing this, but i'll sleep better spending my money some where else.    

edmg
Trustee
If you're not using Facebook for anything else, it's really little different to having an Oculus account. It's only really an issue for those who put their life up on Facebook and now their friends can see exactly how long they've been playing VR Kanojo for.

That said, I'll probably be switching to a non-Oculus headset at the point it becomes compulsory.

Zymurgy42
Honored Guest
Scratch one brand from my VR search....

wuzp
Rising Star
If we really want to go crazy and go into QAnon conspiracies; consider this...

Back in the day, when Second Life was "a thing," all of the 3 letter agencies were so concerned about ISIS and other groups recruiting in Second Life; they actually had agents wandering around inside, trying to gather intel.  Years later; these same agencies would praise FB over how much money they saved every year; because terrorists are like everyone else, and like to brag on FB.  By forcing Oculus users to use FB accounts; the 3 letter agencies hope to prevent another wave of Second Life style anonymity, occurring in AltSpace VR, Big Screen, Venues, etc.

kojack
MVP
MVP

as I do NOT want to use facebook at all, ever since I caught the Facebook and Messenger APPs performing industrial espionage by eavesdropping on my phone, potentially compromising international stock-pricing !

The Oculus software IS a facebook app. Facebook has had control of the oculus software since 2014. If you think facebook is performing industrial espionage on you using the facebook app, why don't you think they are doing it using the oculus software which they also made and has even lower level access to your OS?

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2