cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Required Facebook for authentication ???

PendragonDK
Honored Guest
I have recently heard, that soon it will be required to authenticate yourself using a facebook account - and if you dont have a facebook account, then it's impossible to login to Oculus at all - please tell me that this is fake news!

When I bought my headsets, it was not required to have a facebook account - currently it's necessary in order to use chat functions, friendslist etc (pretty wierd as it was functioning VERY WELL before it was "suddently" required!

If you suddently require a facebook-account to login to Oculus at all - I expect to be reimbursed for all the games I purchased, so I can buy them on another platform instead, as I do NOT want to use facebook at all, ever since I caught the Facebook and Messenger APPs performing industrial espionage by eavesdropping on my phone, potentially compromising international stock-pricing !

14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Straight from the horse's mouth:
https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/

That is all we know at this time.
Oculus focus currently appears to be more on social VR, as is evidenced by this announcement.
And that is what they are pushing.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
New accounts and new devices will require a FB account starting in October. If you have an already-existing Oculus account and an already-owned device, you will not be required to link or merge a Facebook account. As of October, you will have to permanently merge (rather than link) a FB account to access social features.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

PendragonDK
Honored Guest

nalex66 said:

New accounts and new devices will require a FB account starting in October. If you have an already-existing Oculus account and an already-owned device, you will not be required to link or merge a Facebook account. As of October, you will have to permanently merge (rather than link) a FB account to access social features.

But from 2023 I am getting the stick it seems...

I am definetly not happy with Oculus / Facebook currently.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
After 2023 you will still be able to use your old device and old content without a FB account, provided that the game devs continue to support that content without requiring FB accounts.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account. "

It would seem full functionality might not be defined as of yet.

wuzp
Rising Star

nalex66 said:

After 2023 you will still be able to use your old device and old content without a FB account, provided that the game devs continue to support that content without requiring FB accounts.

Given the number of existing topics, dealing with people trying to keep their DK1, CV1, Go working; does anybody really expect any "existing devices" to still be around in 2023?

nalex66
MVP
MVP
The point is to provide legacy support for previous buyers, so they can't complain that their headset was bricked by the change, or that they were bamboozled with a bait and switch. Anyone buying a new Oculus device after October will know what they signed up for. The actual number of legacy devices in use by 2023 will probably be fairly small. I'm still using my day-one pre-ordered CV1, but at four years old, it's likely getting close to the end of its useful life.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

wuzp said:

nalex66 said:

Given the number of existing topics, dealing with people trying to keep their DK1, CV1, Go working; does anybody really expect any "existing devices" to still be around in 2023?

Good point! In my opinion though, given the number of people who claim to be opposed to FB/Oculus yet actively remain consumers (and forum members), I'm willing to bet many will continue to use their old and new products for years to come.

wuzp
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

I'm willing to bet many will continue to use their old and new products for years to come.

I'm sitting here watching day 2 of DARPA's Alpha Dogfight Trials.  They just did a walk-through of the cockpit the human F-16 pilot will use tomorrow to fight the last of 8 competing AI pilots.  And guess what -- we now know one of the reasons there's a RIFT S shortage!
  😄