cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resident Evil 4 VR is an Oculus Quest 2 exclusive

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

It was announced today that Capcom is partnering with Oculus to bring RE4 over to Quest 2:

News:

https://www.gamesradar.com/resident-evil-4-vr-is-an-oculus-quest-2-exclusive/

Video announcement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrI2Woxqdnc

Quite awesome for Horror VR! I imagine that this would be a timed exclusive, and while I haven't seen any confirmation, it would make sense to bring this to PCVR at some point. But for now, this is great news for the Quest platform.

112 REPLIES 112

@Pixie40 wrote:

I tend to only buy a given game once. If a version comes along with a legitimate reason to rebuy such as RE4 VR, I consider doing so. But I don't consider mods a legitimate reason to rebuy a game. Since I already have the RE2 and RE3 remakes on PS4, I see no reason to buy them on PC as well. And no, the promise of a VR mod doesn't change my mind about that.

It's not about changing minds. It's about the distinct difference between playing a game in a flat 2D environment vs being immersed in to the game in VR. Skyrim and Fallout were modded for VR, as have many other popular PCVR titles. Such as Doom and The Forest.

Considering this is a community for VR Enthusiasts, it isn't too far fetched to consider that some people will enjoy buying a VR version of a game so that they can experience something nostalgic in a whole new way: Immersion and Presence.

Your original comment was that you had no interest in this news because it was an unofficial Mod. And now you're making an argument about money: rebuying. Yet the point of this thread was never to convince anyone to change their minds about any preconceived notions, personal ideologies, or monetary spending.

As the saying goes: You do you, boo!  😁

Regardless,

I am sure once RE is launched on Quest, and the two Mods are released for PCVR, the floodgates of VR goodness will be open around the RE universe. 😊

Personally, I have no problem re-buying a game. I bought Skyrim twice. First the original vanilla version, then years later I bought the VR Version. I never completed the vanilla version because it bored the hell out of me. But I fell in love with the VR version.

And then there's Myst, which I have probably bought half a dozen times by now, if not more lol. And I modded my own interpretation of the entire Myst game in to an RPG: Legend of Grimrock 2:

https://www.nexusmods.com/legendofgrimrock2/mods/56/

So yeah, I love Modding, I have a lot of respect for Modders, and I will certainly rebuy a game if I feel it is warranted.

I'll buy a modded game IF the reviews are good.

Alien Isolation only works in VR now with the Mother mod and is definitely worth buying if you don't have it. I've got the Half-Life Quest mod too (Lambda1VR), very good.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

I think you misunderstand me. For me, the existence of a mod has no relevance what so ever in the decision to buy a game or not. If the game can't justify me rebuying it on it's own, I wont rebuy it. In fact, I mostly ignore the existence of mods.

Examples:

I already had Borderlands 2 on Xbox 360. I bought it for PSVR though because VR offered a new way to play the game. I'm considering buying Borderlands 2 VR on PC though, because the Playstation Move controllers really do suck for games like Borderlands.

I already had Arizona Sunshine on PSVR, but bought it again on Quest because the touch controllers are better VR controllers and the better tracking offered by not relying on colored lights that get washed out by any ambient lighting.

RE7 may or may not have a better VR experience on PC, I wouldn't know. That's because I already have it on PS4, and PSVR works very well with the game. I don't need a new copy of it.

The only reason I bought Beat Saber on Steam is because I had gifted my Quest 1 to my brother for Christmas, so didn't have access to my library of Oculus games.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

@Pixie40 wrote:

I think you misunderstand me. For me, the existence of a mod has no relevance what so ever in the decision to buy a game or not. If the game can't justify me rebuying it on it's own, I wont rebuy it. In fact, I mostly ignore the existence of mods.

If a game that a gamer once enjoyed in 2D-only suddenly gets re-released with VR support, and said gamer is now a VR Enthusiast, then there is a strong chance that justification for rebuying exists in this situation.

However, not everyone may agree with that notion which is fine. If you disagree, then you should probably avoid buying RE4.

That aside, the news about the VR Mods for RE2 and RE3 have nothing to do with rebuying either game. As far as I can tell, the Mods will be free for anyone who already owns the PC Version of these games. 

If fact, the Modder, praydog, has his works posted publicly, free of charge:

https://github.com/praydog/REFramework

If you do not own the PC Version of these games, and have no interest in rebuying them to experience them in VR... then don't. 

I mean, yes, I understand your rule. And okay, it is a lovely rule to have. However, this thread isn't really aimed at trying to convince you to break your rule.

For me, I will certainly rebuy a game if it allows me to enjoy it in VR. Specifically if I never played it in VR before.

As I said, there is a difference between experiencing a game in 2D vs VR. And what I am talking about is being able to experience things, such as old classics, in Virtual Reality for the first time ever.

Your example with RE7 doesn't really apply here because, as you said, you already had RE7 in VR with PSVR. So it probably doesn't make much sense to re-buy RE7 for PC. I would agree. But that is not the situation at hand. The current situation has nothing to do with going from one VR experience to another VR experience. This is about going from 2D to VR. For the first time. Ever.

But if even that scenario doesn't appeal to someone, then that's fine too.

I think most mods don't require you to buy the game again though... just require you to own the original so that the files can be used, cross platform compatibility though is another thing altogether.

So I'm very open to modding and look out for stuff that enhances a game.

I don't remember any unofficial mods I have requiring purchase, but I don't think I'd be averse to buying a game twice if they did. The official Fallout 4 VR did need to be bought separately and that's really no more than a mod. So glad I bought it, even though I'd played through the entire Fallout 4 pancake game a few times. In fact I'd bought the pancake game twice because the GOTY edition was a cheap way to get the expansions... so I've effectively bought the game 3 time and it's still by far the best value, hours played/pounds.

If Alien Isolation VR was a paid for VR mod that required a second game purchase over a pancake game, I'd still definitely recommend it. I think sometimes you have to just value the experience you're getting over what you already purchased.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

If I own a game on PS4 or Xbox One, then yes I would need to buy the game again on PC if I want to mod it.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

The release date has been announced, and we are a few weeks away! 😁

Well folks, you’ve been asking for it: Resident Evil 4 is coming to VR on October 21st. Capcom USA and Oculus are officially putting Halloween on notice this year. #ResidentEvil4 #RE4VR

https://uploadvr.com/resident-evil-4-vr-release-date/

You’ll still move by using the analog stick, but Armature has added a full upper-body rig on top of Leon’s character to combine his movement with the dual-handed interactivity achieved with Touch controllers. Weapons and items have been re-engineered as physical objects, so you can pick them up and interact with them. Lastly, rather than navigating a menu to swap out weapons, you can grab them off your body.

I'm very excited to FINALLY get another true AAA VR title to the lineup.

Why are you here?! You may consider sticking to steam forms. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

vividpixel
Explorer

A couple years ago I replayed RE4 through the remastered edition on Xbox One X. This will be a must-buy for me to enjoy the game all over again.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

This upcoming month?! **bleep** IT! Too many things I want coming out in the same month. That said, depending on the cost I think I'll put off getting the wireless N64 controller for Switch till November, and pick this up immediately.