Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retro Rift - Return To Wolfenstein

willz06jw
Honored Guest
After receiving my DK2 I noticed a problem:
1. I never want to game again in anything but VR
2. I want to play Return to Wolfenstein from 10 years ago

Has anyone been successful playing PC games from this time period (2001)?
-It runs on id Tech 3 if that helps with anything...

What would be my first step to figure out how to make this work?

Thank you,
Will
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Feels good man.

If you want something similar, Quake II has a VR mod somewhere on the forum for DK1, hopefully to be updated for DK2. It was probably the best VR experience I've had, personally. Surprisingly comfortable, even at insane speeds with rocket jumping, and the visuals were next to perfect.

willz06jw
Honored Guest
Hmmm, the source code for Return to Wolfenstein is available to make a mod like this...my only question is whether I need to.

Does anyone know if RtW will work with Tridef or Vorpx?

Thank you,
Will

Cesium06
Honored Guest
Wow this would be an awesome project! I'd be super interested in making a mod for RoCW if one doesn't exist, but I'm still awaiting for my DK2 to show up on my doorstep.

I want to go back and play all of the old ID games with the DK2 😄 😄

willz06jw
Honored Guest
A VR mod doesn't exist...the only question is whether it will just work with those 3rd party drivers you can d/l. If it won't work, then this will be a pretty straightforward project with all of the code from the q2 mod.

Has anyone tried Vorpx or Tridef with older games from this era?

integration
Honored Guest
Since these games are 2.5 rather than 3D I'd imagine them to be fairy terrible (if possible) in the rift. A recreation would be probably be the only real option, I know I've seen at least one person on these forums working on one.

Spielor
Honored Guest
"integration" wrote:
Since these games are 2.5 rather than 3D I'd imagine them to be fairy terrible (if possible) in the rift. A recreation would be probably be the only real option, I know I've seen at least one person on these forums working on one.

He is talking about RTCW and that game is fully 3D.

There is nobody working on oculus rift support for RTCW yet. If you have spare time please do it. A lot of people would be very happy about it. The source code is available so that makes it one of the few games where really good rift support can be added instead of some half-assed injector driver mess.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just saying this would be a dream come through!

willz06jw
Honored Guest
Using those drivers is garbage ehh? Sounds like a full mod job is needed.

Since none of those drivers work on the DK2 I haven't had the opportunity to check the quality of using them.