cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift CV1 Insider AMA?

USMCGrunt0307
Explorer
Anybody seen this over at Reddit? https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... h/?sort=qa

What do ya'll think, legit?
18 REPLIES 18

r00x
Adventurer
"nightauditor1981" wrote:
What surprised me and made me really happy is that the 1.0 sdk seems to offer a very stable experience and seems to include Asynchronous timewarp since 0.9. It also seems to include backwards compatibility from 0.6 sdk´s onwards.

All in all it´s great news. The rift has the advantadge in display quality (most important for me) and ergonomics. The vive has a slight advantadge in tracking range. As the rift already covers 5 meters (according to the guy), this shouldn´t effect most users though.

I agree! Display quality/SDE was my top priority (being primarily interested in sims) so this is good and confirms earlier rumours.

I also heard a potentially disappointing thing though (not about the Rift itself) - although Asynchronous Timewarp exists in the runtime since 0.9, it seems OpenVR/SteamVR doesn't utilise it. It shouldn't be a big issue, but it makes me wonder if theoretically SteamVR games will be at a performance disadvantage compared to Rift-native? For instance does anyone know if Elite: Dangerous will use the native Rift runtime, or will it keep using SteamVR as it does now? I'm guessing the former since they're going to distribute it via Oculus Home as well as Steam and direct from the standalone launcher, right?

nightauditor198
Adventurer
"r00x" wrote:

I agree! Display quality/SDE was my top priority (being primarily interested in sims) so this is good and confirms earlier rumours.

I also heard a potentially disappointing thing though (not about the Rift itself) - although Asynchronous Timewarp exists in the runtime since 0.9, it seems OpenVR/SteamVR doesn't utilise it. It shouldn't be a big issue, but it makes me wonder if theoretically SteamVR games will be at a performance disadvantage compared to Rift-native? For instance does anyone know if Elite: Dangerous will use the native Rift runtime, or will it keep using SteamVR as it does now? I'm guessing the former since they're going to distribute it via Oculus Home as well as Steam and direct from the standalone launcher, right?

Oh, as I still have a GTX780 I was kind of hoping for that function a little 😄

I had a FSX mod that used asynchrous timewarp and that was really nice. The picture was stable and fluid even at about 40 fps.

I was kinda planning on waiting on upgrading the card until the next nvidia generation releases.

Does anyone know if SLI will be supported in the final SDK? Getting another 780 would be a nice and relatively cheap solution that would last for another couple of years.

r00x
Adventurer
"nightauditor1981" wrote:

Oh, as I still have a GTX780 I was kind of hoping for that function a little 😄

I had a FSX mod that used asynchrous timewarp and that was really nice. The picture was stable and fluid even at about 40 fps.

I was kinda planning on waiting on upgrading the card until the next nvidia generation releases.

Does anyone know if SLI will be supported in the final SDK? Getting another 780 would be a nice and relatively cheap solution that would last for another couple of years.

Ah I might have tried that, was that FlyInside FSX?

SLI is already supported right now - VR SLI, that is! It's a question of engines/games choosing to implement support, it's got little to do with the Oculus SDK/runtime really. Unfortunately I expect the majority of titles won't support multi-GPU for now. Some may be upgraded to add support in the future (I hope so) but many never will, so it might be a feature we see most prominently on newer titles in the future.

VizionVR
Rising Star
This just in: Palmer Luckey poses as anonymous insider dev. Hype train back on track. :mrgreen:
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

Christiaan
Protege
Sounds like the guy is legit....don't agree with his decision. Most of what he had to say that was of substance I had extrapolated to a large degree from Oculus' own reveals.

Doesn't seem like any real harm done, but poor form nonetheless. If you support Oculus and develop for the HW, you should respect your contractual obligations.

It is my strong belief that Oculus at this time wants to make sure it does not overexpose their significantly superior HW only to have inadequate production to fulfill orders.

They know the HW will speak for itself in a couple of weeks, and then the rebound effect from all the Vive hype being proven just that - hype - will put Oculus back in good stead.

I wouldn't doubt that there could be a reveal or two on the SW side that would also require that NDA.

nn23
Explorer
"blanes" wrote:
Massive thanks & accolades to that guy for sharing what was pretty basic information. Oculus should have told us all of that and more quite some time ago. Marketing & Communications fail on the part of Oculus.

q.f.t.

Keiran3927
Explorer
"blanes" wrote:
Massive thanks & accolades to that guy for sharing what was pretty basic information. Oculus should have told us all of that and more quite some time ago. Marketing & Communications fail on the part of Oculus.

Fourthed. Been seesawing on canceling or not the past week. I'm sold on VR, but silence in the face of legitimate worries based on an actual reviewer's experience *appears* skeevy. It doesn't matter that Oculus insiders know everything is on the up and up, you gotta have a better appreciation for, y'know, the optics. 😛

greeneblitz
Expert Protege
This info should have been put out by Oculus, my guess is that at the time the NDA was instituted it made a lot of sense, but as time went on I'll bet the Oculus marketing dept regrets that decision or at least the length of it, once its in effect, doubtful the nda can be easily changed. Still,it wont matter 4 months from now no one will care about any of it, Oculus is its positioned to do quite well, not just now, but for the long haul,they have the superior HMD, superior controllers, superior software and they're heavily investing in a lot of cool tech that will only enhance the brand for the future.

Saffron
Explorer
There's a reason of why NDA should be respected. This guy is talking about an already old version of PSVR, so is basically giving misinformation. And both Vive and Rift SDK and dev hardware is going to be different from the final released product.

So keep in mind he's comparing devkits, not the actual consumer products that will be released.