cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift CV1 vs Rift S Performance wise (speed)

YoLolo69
Trustee
Hi lucky guys and girls who upgraded from CV1 to Rift S, I got a question for you : If you made benchmarks before and after, does the hightest pixels and lower framerate (80Hz) of the Rift S, and it's totally different tracking system (in vs out), compensate in terms of CPU/GPU cost of the lower pixels of CV1 , higher framerate (90Hz) and sensors tracking (3 in my case)?

In other words, may I expect less performance with Rift S, same, or better than CV1, using the exact same computer and default settings (ss=1.0, etc.)?

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
My impression when I went from CV1 to Rift S was my performance remained about the same. But also I used less SS with the S than the CV1 as well.

RattyUK
Trustee
I'll agree with @dburne  - no noticable performance difference between Rift & Rift S - but the clarity difference does mean lower SS needed to be 'sharp'.
Then changing GPU last year meant I could 'go silly' with SS 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Ya, I agree the overall performance with Rift S @ 1.5 SS is about the same as the Rift cv1 @ 2.0 SS.  Personal preferences for sure but I ended up returning my Rift S, mainly for the cv1's oled's and better audio.  If my cv1 ever dies (I still have a spare new cable thankfully) I'll probably just replace it with my Quest w/Link cable until something better for Oculus comes along.  For now, I'm mainly just enjoying my Quest standalone Mobile VR and/or wireless w/Virtual Desktop. 
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

YoLolo69
Trustee
I play a lot of simulators, planes and cars, where precision is important in the distance. I saw some interesting comparison tests and videos and think it could be a real improvement for me. I hesitate to upgrade my machine vs the headset. I'm pretty happy with my current computer, even if I want more power (obviously)...

Mmmmm, still thinking! 😉

Thanks for your feedback!

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1