cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift can do room scale but...

maxpare79
Trustee
http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/22/112833 ... room-scale
Not sure I would have said people don't want it... I would have just said we can do it and can't wait to show it to you once Touch is ready... Probably just PR talk because Touch isn't ready... But not the smartest comment
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner
141 REPLIES 141

Anonymous
Not applicable

Atmos73 said:
This is one way room-scale could help immerse you into the game if the AI team made some subtle changes to the level design. Putting indicators above things would signal the object being within the boundaries of your room. It's never going to allow you to run long corridors but within a small room you get the freedom of physical space. When indicators are red then you know its beyond your physical room space so don't try to physically walk there. With open games like Farcry 4 you could use shadows or colour variations to show you physical room outline. When you stop walking on your pad the game reverts to room-scale laws and your feet take over again while you search or fight.

I like it. Such an elegant way to keep you immersed and keep the game functioning smoothly. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

maxpare79 said:

Not sure I would have said people don't want it... I would have just said we can do it and can't wait to show it to you once Touch is ready... Probably just PR talk because Touch isn't ready... But not the smartest comment

Can't see anywhere in that article where it says any of that, am i missing something?

VizionVR
Rising Star

maxpare79 said:

Not sure I would have said people don't want it... I would have just
said we can do it and can't wait to show it to you once Touch is
ready... Probably just PR talk because Touch isn't ready... But not the
smartest comment

Wow. Either Jason Rubin is spinning against Vive specifically, or he's absolutely ignorant of room scale in general. Seems a little bit of both.

Rubin Said:
"We don't believe that the consumer has the space in general,"
Rubin said. "Has the commercial viable space of the 15-by-15 foot
square."

Just incredible ignorance from someone who should know better.

Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

VizionVR
Rising Star

maxpare79 said:

Wow. Either Jason Rubin is just PR spinning or he's pretty damned ignorant to room scale.

He says:
"We don't believe that the consumer has the space in general,"
Rubin said. "Has the commercial viable space of the 15-by-15 foot
square."

I can forgive this if it came from someone just learning about VR, but Rubin?!? This is PR spin, plain and simple.

AntDX3162
Heroic Explorer
I just hope room scale has hand-to-eye exercise training.  Like throwing a bottle in the air and catching it or bouncing a ball in the wall then catching it.  It's not the same feeling as catching something in real-life though.  The impact where the fingers contract doesn't happen.
facebook.com/AntDX316

Percy1983
Superstar

Atmos73 said:

When playing Alien Isolation on my DK2 I was in a seated position but this didn't break the illusion of walking around a giant Space station. So when get to put the Vive on for the first time and try Alien Isolation again I'll gain better PQ and some hand controllers. If I stand I'll use the pads to control my motion rather than the mouse and keyboard. Will this be better than sitting? It can't be any worse can it? So now I'm standing I'll have to use my body to turn around because I don't have the mouse. My hearts beating faster because my body reacts to sounds as I need to look around for more flame canisters. Oh there's a noise outside the friggin door I need a Storage unit to hide in. Hmmm that unit over there has a green light above it. It must mean I have room-scale enabled and I can walk to the cabinet without the need for the controllers. I physically walk over and open the storage door. Oh shit the door to the room is opening. I spin round and climb in the storage unit just as the Alien walks in. Thankfully the storage unit door closes before it saw me.

This is one way room-scale could help immerse you into the game if the AI team made some subtle changes to the level design. Putting indicators above things would signal the object being within the boundaries of your room. It's never going to allow you to run long corridors but within a small room you get the freedom of physical space. When indicators are red then you know its beyond your physical room space so don't try to physically walk there. With open games like Farcry 4 you could use shadows or colour variations to show you physical room outline. When you stop walking on your pad the game reverts to room-scale laws and your feet take over again while you search or fight.

This is how I'd do it anyway...
Sounds good in principle but what If I was always getting munched by the alien because my room is too small.

As said before would I use the thumb stick until the light goes green and then run for my life, do I run as far as I can then use the thumb stick?

Like wise if I move forward and use the thumbstick at the same time will it double my speed? will this make us sick. If this is the case I would have to time the stopping of my body with the movement of my thumb so there isn't a pause which could also lead to getting munched.

...or I could just use my thumb stick and know exactly how fast I will get there and know I will get there.

This is where my problem lies, integrating the 2 control methods is necessary but will be messy.

As said for games with do work in the limits of a room it will be great, but how many of those can there be?
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

VizionVR
Rising Star
😉

Calanar
Honored Guest
I recommend using a raised mat for standing and small roomscale experiences. When you step off the mat you know you have reached the end of your range. Pretty easy really. Most home improvement stores sell those mats with the jigsaw edges that you can hook together for most sized places.
Michael Tenery, Software, RPG and Game Developer. Imagine Role Playing: http://www.role-playing.com

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
Steam says Chaperone can be used by the Rift, and I would expect Oculus to develop a similar system for release with Touch.  
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

VizionVR
Rising Star

AntDX3162 said:

I just hope room scale has hand-to-eye exercise training.  Like throwing a bottle in the air and catching it or bouncing a ball in the wall then catching it.  It's not the same feeling as catching something in real-life though.  The impact where the fingers contract doesn't
I've watched jugglers in VR. It's pretty amazing actually. Can link a vid if you're interested.