cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift cv1 - Good Bye Old Paint I'm Leaving Cheyenne!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Well, this had to happen eventually I guess, lol!  My good old (+3yo) Rift cv1 has now developed the fairly common loss of my right side headphone audio.  This happened with my original cv1 and Oculus replaced it with a refurbished headset just over 2 years ago.  I had done the usual electrical tape mods to avoid this problem to help restrict the headstrap movement.  While this has worked for +2 years I guess there was still enough internal wire movement to stuff up the audio wiring.  

I know I could simply run some wires from my still working left headphone but this will result in mono audio.  I could also use BT headphones but I'm not a big fan of using these.  I could also just mirror audio to my PC but because it's next to my TV lounge room I don't really want to do this.  I'll probably just end up moving my Rift cv1 into my home office and use it like I originally did with my Alienware 17r4 laptop (i7 7700hq/gtx1060 6GB/32Gb ram).  This should work fine for simple VR games and mirroring the sound will not be a problem with the rest of my household since my home office is in a separate part of my house.

Fortunately for me there are no significant negative effects as far a PCVR goes.  I mainly use my Vive Pro for all my flight/racing sims and now that I have Valve Index controller with this I'm tending to use it for most of my non-Oculus Store games anyway (I still do not like Revive btw).  Also, thanks to Oculus software and Virtual Desktop updates my Quest 1 is performing better than ever.  I can safely say that I do not have any problems with the latest v27 software (PC and Quest) and that between Link (and with a little help from my new rtx3090) and/or wireless w/VD I'm pretty well getting the same results with all Oculus Store games (including Lone Echo) as I have with my Rift cv1 at 2xSS.  Albeit with a few compression artifacts, which are not too bad.  I think that the Q1 OLED screens may be a bit of a factor.  Like my OLED Vive Pro it's pretty hard to beat OLED's for the best blacks and colour contrast.

So, while I probably will continue to get some use out of my good old cv1, as of today it's no longer one of my main pcvr headsets.  Feels like the end of an era to me, lol!

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Ok, I tried the cv1 wire fix but I guess the wrong headset wire was broken because all I got was mono audio.  Maybe I should ask Palmer Lucky again for the free fix he offered quite a while ago but never delivered, lol!  Still ok to use in a pinch with headphones or audio mirroring though.  I'll probably just leave my 2x sensors mounted for now and have everything ready to go again, just in case, lol! 

With the latest Oculus v28 updates (PC and my Q1) Link (with my official link cable) has never looked and worked sooo well.  Using (with OTT) Q1 global 1.6xss everything looks better and performs as well as my good old cv1 at 2xss.  Just a few compression artifacts which are not very often noticeable.  I have a nice new rtx3090 so this probably helps since I never need to use ASW for anything.  Tracking is very good but not quite as good as my cv1, esp. when Q1 controllers are out of camera range for very long.  It's a real pity that Oculus did not pull through with early hints that cv1 sensor cameras could be used with the Quest and Rift S because this would have potentially made it a killer room scale system imho.

Anyway, today I decided to give a Q2 another go and ordered one from Amazon (surprisingly in stock at my Au store).  I returned my 1st one 5 months ago because at the time I did not think that it, together with my Q1, could properly take the place of my cv1 (which I was already thinking of retiring).  Now, besides better Link performance, I think that the tides have turned.  We are now also getting Q2 improvements/exclusives and Air Link.  Plus I already knew from before that Q2 standalone mobile VR and media viewing offered much better clarity than my Q1.

I intend to use my new Q2 with all standalone mobile VR and media viewing.  I also intend to use it for wireless pcvr with Virtual Desktop (which I already have and it works great with my Q1) and/or Air Link.  I'll leave my Q1 with Link connected to my PC for great OLED blacks/colour/contrast.  Together with my Vive Pro (that I mainly use for all my flight/racing sims) I think that this is going to be a pretty good combo and should allow me to easily select the best vr headset to use depending on which apps I am using.

I'll let you all know how this works out soon mates.  Cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

My Rift CV1, and its sensors, are retired as well. Boxed up and put in the closet. My VR Room is now a combo gaming room / home office. I work from home pretty much permanently now thanks to the pandemic. And with Quest 2, I can make use of the many other large areas in my home for full room-scale VR.

It's the end of an era for sure! For me, it's the end of tethered single-room VR. Now I'm just waiting for RE4 on Quest!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I have an extra CV1 for back-up - and a new extra CV1 cable - and a new extra sensor, lol. Don't have new controllers tough, maybe I should have bought some back then... 

Fun thing - colors seemed much more vibrant in the new CV1, so over the years I may have burned some oled, lol.

I've been planning to use the new CV1 when Lone Echo 2 arrives. 

If needed, maybe you can find a working one on Amazon or Ebay. 

Only a few games and apps can't be Revived, and with the 3090 + Vive Pro + Knuckles - you should be fine. 

I often find that my interest in many VR games is greatly reduced using lcd - but not when using oled, of course depending on the game and app. Some games are literally destroyed with lcd, but if you only use lcd you may just not like the game much and be completely unaware that the same game is a shining gem with oled - especially many darker games with TAA. I simply can't get Asgard's Wrath, Defector, Lone Echo, Robinson: The Journey or Stormland to look right with lcd, either these games are too blurry (TAA) or there are jaggies everywhere (even with SMAA/4xMSAA) - and lcd makes it so easy to spot the many low-res textures - I need some SDE to fool my brain. In a year or two, all new games may be optimized for lcd, but that's not the case right now, especially when games have been in development for 3-4 years. There are many spots in Medal of Honor where you can easily see that this game was made for oled - and for the CV1 sensor - especially when you need to hold the sniper rifle so close to the HMD that Touch touches the hmd... Focusing on inside-out tracking, devs would never have done that. 

In short, if both my CV1s died - I'd get a Vive Pro too - or pay whatever needed for a new CV1. 2c.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Maybe funny - but I really treat my CV1 like rare Chinese pottery these days. Putting it on very gently avoiding to stretch anything more than I need to. I never place the CV1 hmd so that it rests on - and increases gravitational pressure on - the headphones - instead I turn the CV1 around so headphones point upwards (like a beetle on the back with all legs in the air, lol). 

Also using Index and CV1 like 50-50 probably helps extending my time with a perfectly working CV1, might not be a bad thing... 

To me CV1 is also a piece of VR history - many memories come back when using it - and it perfectly works with Beat Saber even on Expert Level 😉 This is just one case where let's say 10 or 20 % reductions in functions may not consciously affect you, but during some time it may slowly decrease the joy you're are having and maybe simply the tendency to use VR - because suddenly you don't like it that much anymore. Small things may unconsciously add up in the long run - like tracking, audio, Hz, IPD, streaming artifacts - when do you reach a point when VR simply isn't as fun as is used to be? 

That's why I still love the CV1 - VR is still as much fun as it used to be. I can play all my games the way there're meant to be played, especially all the Rift exclusives, and there are many. 2c. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

I agree 100% with all that @RuneSR2 .  The Rift cv1 is still a Gold standard for most PCVR apps, esp. those that benefit from OLED's (like you say, probably the majority out there right now).  However, I'm surprised how well my OLED Q1 works with Link using the current Oculus v27 software (PC and Quest).  Maybe my new rtx3090 with much faster encoding capability helps as well.  I have not found any Oculus store apps that do not look as good, or better than my cv1 at 2xSS.  There are the odd compression artifacts and tracking is not quite as good but both of these are only minor annoyances, and I only very occasionally even notice them.

Given the versatility of my oled Quest 1 (pcvr w/Link or wireless w/Virtual Desktop, mobile VR, and media viewing) it's a pretty class act imho. 

Except for the lack of oled I'm sure that the same can be said for the Q2 as well.  I tried out a Q2 w/Elite strap ~5 months ago but ended up returning it for a refund because at the time Link was not working as well as it is right now so there was no way it could compete with my cv1.  I will say the the Q2 lcd's were the best I've ever seen in darkish games (much better than the Rift S or Go).  Also, its clarity was very good.  This was esp. noticeable with standalone mobile VR games (which I do not use very much) and media viewing, but not so much with pcvr.

I still intend to keep my cv1 operational with my home office gaming laptop, albeit sans earmuffs, lol!

Just wondering - I'm thinking you've had quite a few hours in the CV1, probably more than most other users in here. But no problems, you still got perfect sound, image in both lenses, controllers still working? 

RuneSR2_0-1618676740029.png

You could send it to Tom, he might wanna change the face pad though, if you haven't washed it for 4 years 😂 (Sorry for the bad humor)

Btw, guess part of me is still waiting for the Rift 2 - seems it won't happen this year disguised as a Quest Pro hmd...

https://uploadvr.com/facebook-oculus-quest-pro/

Quote:

Andrew Bosworth: "People are also asking about the Quest 3, which doesn’t exist yet, and everyone who is listening to us who is a reporter there isn’t a Quest 3, there’s only a Quest 2, but I did hint at an AMA earlier this year about Quest Pro because we do have a lot of things in development where we want to introduce new functionality to the headset along the kinds that people theorize that we would want to introduce, and that’s a little ways off still. It’s still not gonna happen this year." 

But Facebook could intro the Quest Pro this year (Q3) and deliver in Q1-2 2022, like they've done before. Well, might be hanging on the CV1 for a while more, lol - interesting if the RTX 3090 and ss 2.2+ can buy me slightly more time... 

w_benjamin
Adventurer

With mine it was the common ground that broke, so when I ran the wire from the left to the right it was only for that..., stereo audio was not compromised.

Thanks @w_benjamin I’ll give that a try and see if this still gives me stereo or not.  However I kinda suspect that if one wire has failed the other one might not be far behind.  Still worth a go though.  Thanks mate and cheers.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Ok, I tried the cv1 wire fix but I guess the wrong headset wire was broken because all I got was mono audio.  Maybe I should ask Palmer Lucky again for the free fix he offered quite a while ago but never delivered, lol!  Still ok to use in a pinch with headphones or audio mirroring though.  I'll probably just leave my 2x sensors mounted for now and have everything ready to go again, just in case, lol! 

With the latest Oculus v28 updates (PC and my Q1) Link (with my official link cable) has never looked and worked sooo well.  Using (with OTT) Q1 global 1.6xss everything looks better and performs as well as my good old cv1 at 2xss.  Just a few compression artifacts which are not very often noticeable.  I have a nice new rtx3090 so this probably helps since I never need to use ASW for anything.  Tracking is very good but not quite as good as my cv1, esp. when Q1 controllers are out of camera range for very long.  It's a real pity that Oculus did not pull through with early hints that cv1 sensor cameras could be used with the Quest and Rift S because this would have potentially made it a killer room scale system imho.

Anyway, today I decided to give a Q2 another go and ordered one from Amazon (surprisingly in stock at my Au store).  I returned my 1st one 5 months ago because at the time I did not think that it, together with my Q1, could properly take the place of my cv1 (which I was already thinking of retiring).  Now, besides better Link performance, I think that the tides have turned.  We are now also getting Q2 improvements/exclusives and Air Link.  Plus I already knew from before that Q2 standalone mobile VR and media viewing offered much better clarity than my Q1.

I intend to use my new Q2 with all standalone mobile VR and media viewing.  I also intend to use it for wireless pcvr with Virtual Desktop (which I already have and it works great with my Q1) and/or Air Link.  I'll leave my Q1 with Link connected to my PC for great OLED blacks/colour/contrast.  Together with my Vive Pro (that I mainly use for all my flight/racing sims) I think that this is going to be a pretty good combo and should allow me to easily select the best vr headset to use depending on which apps I am using.

I'll let you all know how this works out soon mates.  Cheers.