cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift s to Quest 2 graphics

GTOgoat
Level 2

I decided to "upgrade" to a quest 2 thinking the graphics would be better, they are and are not.  I play mostly War Thunder in VR and I'm having a problem with graphics rendering in the background.  In the cockpit everything looks real clear and crisp but outside the cockpit it's blurry patches and when a plane flies through that blurry patch I'd disappears. This problem with the ground looking blurry with the Quest2 that I didn't have with the RiftS.  I have a i9 10900k a 3080ti and 64g ram which ran the Rift with ease.  The only thing I ever adjusted was pixel per display pixel override for the RiftS.  What settings should I try th get the background graphics to be better on the quest?  I've seen encoded bitrate and encoded resolution width changed but what am I changing when I try this?

5 REPLIES 5

To be honest, you are unlikely to get the same graphic fidelity with the Q2 as you did with the Rift. The Rift is a "native" PCVR headset so it has a displayport connection between the PC and the headset, which gives the best picture quality.

The Quest 2 uses a compressed video stream (delivered via wifi or USB cable) and that compression introduces artifacts that degrade the picture quality. Some scenes compress better than others so some will look better than others. You have a strong hardware video encoder in your GPU, which helps though. Similarly, the streaming bitrate between the PC and the headset will affect how much compression has to be applied so a wifi 6 connection is likely to be sharper than wifi 5, for example.

The Quest has a higher screen resolution, which should allow for better graphics, but the whole compression / decompression system makes the benefits a bit moot.

I have both Rift S and Quest 2 headsets available to me and I still use the Rift for seated sims like DCS, MSFS, iRacing etc. It just suits them better.

Is there a way to get the Quest2 close to the RiftS in terms of video output with the link cable or air link and which is better?  For example if the RiftS gets 100% video graphics transfer "no artifacting" through its Display Port cabe what would Air link/link cable get with the Quest2? 

It's difficult to quantify. There will always be compression so there will always be compression artifacts. The more bandwidth you can throw at it, the less those artifacts are likely to be so a good quality USB-C cable on a fast, uncontested USB-C motherboard port is going to be the best performing.

I have the Oculus link cable plugged into the motherboard in a USB-C and I guess I'm adjusting the bandwidth when I adjust the encoded bitrate?  If so is there a value too low or too high?

Too low will give pixellated graphics, too high will give stuttering. You need to find the sweet spot that suits you best.