cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift vs Quest vs GO (Update: Dec 28 '18)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Ever since the discussions at OC4, there has been quite a bit of debate on the purpose of the three Oculus VR HMD offerings. It may be worth taking a birds-eye view of the new Oculus VR Trifecta.

Oculus Rift
  • Dubbed "high-end" VR
  • Requires a wired connection to an Oculus-Ready Machine
  • Implements Touch controllers and relies on external Sensors
  • Target Markets: Entertainment and Industry
  • Competitor markets: PCVR, Console-VR

Oculus Quest
  • Dubbed "mid-range" VR
  • Uses Touch Controllers
  • Implements inside-out tracking
  • No reliance on an external PC nor external Sensors
  • Target Markets: Gaming and Entertainment
  • Competitor markets: Standalone VR, Mixed-Reality

Oculus Go
  • Dubbed "low-end" VR
  • Uses navigation controller/remote
  • Standard head-tracking
  • Target Markets: Media and Entertainment
  • Competitor markets: MobileVR, 360 Media

When it comes to gaming, there are noticeable difference. For example,
Oculus Go will be limited to GearVR type selections. Whereas Quest will have access to some Oculus Rift titles, such as Dead & Buried. My favorite thing about Santa Cruz is that it will give the Windows Mixed Reality market a run for its money.

The way I view these three offerings is rather simple:
  1. Oculus GO will put the power of MobileVR in the hands of people who don't have a VR supported phone or want to enjoy MobileVR without having to rely solely on their phone. Mobile phone reliance is high for everyday life, so having a Mobile VR HMD while freeing up your personal smart phone is a great option.
  2.  Qyest gives us a glimpse of true Tetherless VR while allowing the business sector to thrive. There are applications emerging for Data Visualization, Education (VR Classroms), and industries like Real-Estate (virtual tours). This headset removes the PC reliance which is crucial to succeeding in this arena. Plus you'll be able to battle Rift players in multiplayer action in-between business meetings.
  3. The Oculus Rift is the Big Daddy that gives consumers who are exclusive to the lower-end VR products something to look up to and envy. The Rift is the proverbial, "yes, the grass is greener."

Personally, I'm a fan of this VR Trifecta (I love when things come in 3's).

I expect the competition to follow suit with their own triplet offerings. But right out-the-gates, the Oculus Trifect will be more like...

Whereas the competitions trifecta will turn out more like...

59 REPLIES 59

Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem that I have with Santa Cruz is that it isn't going to be competing with the Windows VR headsets. The specs aren't going to be as good.

The Rift at $400 Is going to compete with them instead - a high-end headset at a mid-range headset's price.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Santa Cruz sounds nice but in effect I am viewing it as a higher spec Oculus GO and not the real deal when it comes to improving on the Rift. For my needs being tethered isn't a big deal at present but for people who roomscale it is. I can't see myself walking around my flat wearing Santa Cruz or going to the park and wearing Oculus GO so these HMDs aren't aimed at someone like me who specifically enjoys more seated experiences. I think I am interested in both HMDs but not as a replacement for the CV1 and really that's what I and many people are waiting for. These new hmds are just branches from the same tree aimed at housing a wider range of birds to come sit on them.  😉

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

zboson
Superstar
What about a wireless Rift now rather than later? I don't want mobile GPU graphics from the Santa Cruz. I want high end GPU graphics but wireless. Santa Cruz does not appear to offer that.

Valve is upgrading the Lighthouses to cover a much larger volume. There are already several wireless options for the Vive (my work is looking into getting one).  The reviews of the wireless for the Vive have been good so far though. 

Carmack I think talked about CV2 not having wireless at OC4. I wonder why. I did not watch his video.   Perhaps the wireless bandwidth from wireless is not high enough for a larger volume? But in any case it's probably the most important feature I want (wireless high end graphcis VR).

I am not sure Oculus needs to offer a uber CV2 in another year or two. How about a CV1+ with a few upgrades or at the very least make it easy for third parties to offer things such as wireless like one finds with the Vive.

god_alom
Adventurer
A high end hmd without cables ❤️

Who has dubbed Santa Cruz mid range VR?

How can they, we don't know the specs?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

logotomie
Expert Protege
I am looking forward for Go proving whether it has an audience. My hunch is it does not (in the necessary numbers) . And it needs to compete with the fast update cycle of phones. I am not its target audience for sure.

Santa Cruz is an unknown until we know more about its specs. Tethering so far has been not a concern for me as i prefer seated experiences. Looking forward to trying it.

Leaves the CV1 for me until someone provides an updated experience that improves on it.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Who has dubbed Santa Cruz mid range VR?

How can they, we don't know the specs?

It's mid-range because it removes the cost of a VR Ready Machine. And while we don't know the full spec's yet, the target pricing is mid-range for the final version.

snowdog said:

The problem that I have with Santa Cruz is that it isn't going to be competing with the Windows VR headsets. The specs aren't going to be as good.

The Rift at $400 Is going to compete with them instead - a high-end headset at a mid-range headset's price.

Mixed Reality offers both AR and VR, whereas the Rift is offering VR only at $400. Plus, Acer is offering a Mixed Reality headset for only $299 ($100 less than the Rift).

Also, many existing Windows Machines will be able to run the low-end of the Mixed Reality experience; and anyone who wants high-end Mixed Reality (dubbed "Ultra") will have to upgrade to something akin to a VR Ready Machine.

The biggest selling point for Mixed Reality is that it will also work with Laptops... giving it that feeling of being both mobile and Desktop PC quality. This is where Santa Cruz will shine the most, since it is also both mobile and Desktop PC quality: only with a better experience due to the Oculus Platform.

Before doing research on these 3 offerings, my plan was to purchase GO for my business app ideas. But now I think Santa Cruz is the way to go for sure.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I think this is a good idea from Oculus because then they have something to offer all markets. And by doing this if one part of the market makes more money then other parts they can use that money to fund the other areas.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Agreed @SkScotchegg - and Samsung is already working on 2 of these markets with GearVR for Mobile and Odyssey for high-end VR ($500).