cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Riftdevs - Use Morpheus market data to your advantage.

Raven
Protege
To my comrade indie devs. Thought best to make sure you caught this. This was apparently in the Q&A Session for Morpheus (posted one of the liveblogs):

Q: "How many units do you plan people to have?"
SONY:" Right now it's one per PS4"

Put in perspective: 6 million PS4 units have been sold.

This gives an advantage for Rift developers. It is hard data to alleviate doubt over whether a consumer VR market is going to exist at all. Doesn't matter if it's Sony and you're developing for Rift. It is data that helps convince others that a Consumer VR Market is emerging, it isn't going away and is poised to become huge. So if you're pitching to investors or applying for research grants, it's helpful to drop the bomb that "VR consumer group for Morpheus alone is potentially six million gamers, in addition to the Oculus Rift consumer group."

Hope this can be of help to some of you. Investors tend to choke on the fact that so far it's nigh impossible to gauge the potential market size (and hence, potential revenue). This can help.

p.s. Is this useful to any - or obvious to all? I'm curious whether people would want to see more helpful tips like this on a devblog we plan on launch this year. I'd like it if we indie VR devs work together more to support and improve, but so far I'm mainly brainstorming possibilities.
4 REPLIES 4

Morpheox
Honored Guest
"Raven" wrote:
To my comrade indie devs. Thought best to make sure you caught this. This was apparently in the Q&A Session for Morpheus (posted one of the liveblogs):

This gives an advantage for Rift developers. It is hard data to alleviate doubt over whether a consumer VR market is going to exist at all. Doesn't matter if it's Sony and you're developing for Rift. It is data that helps convince others that a Consumer VR Market is emerging, it isn't going away and is poised to become huge. So if you're pitching to investors or applying for research grants, it's helpful to drop the bomb that "VR consumer group for Morpheus alone is potentially six million gamers, in addition to the Oculus Rift consumer group."

Hope this can be of help to some of you. Investors tend to choke on the fact that so far it's nigh impossible to gauge the potential market size (and hence, potential revenue). This can help.

p.s. Is this useful to any - or obvious to all? I'm curious whether people would want to see more helpful tips like this on a devblog we plan on launch this year. I'd like it if we indie VR devs work together more to support and improve, but so far I'm mainly brainstorming possibilities.

The fact that there are 6 millions PS4 means nothing to the actual number or HMDs sold, there are also hundreds of millions of PCs, and not everyone its gonna get an oculus, the way i see that question is that the mention that the number of hmds per console its limited to one, wich makes sense.

DarkAkuma
Explorer
"Raven" wrote:

I believe you're taking that quote out of context or intent of meaning. I think it's meaning is regarding the social/multi-player aspect of the PS4 console, and wondering if you can use 2 HMDs with one console. As during their event they talked about a multi-player shared experience scenario.

But I may have misunderstood myself. It's kind of a ambiguous Q&A.
Project: Ocarina - The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time in VR @DarkAkuma_ - Twitter http://darkakuma.z-net.us/ - My Blog http://www.z-net.us/ - SNES Online Gaming

Raven
Protege
"Morpheox" wrote:

The fact that there are 6 millions PS4 means nothing to the actual number or HMDs sold, there are also hundreds of millions of PCs, and not everyone its gonna get an oculus,

That's another subject than what I discussed above. But I'll reply in short: Compared to Oculus, Sony has a well defined and established target audience and a decade history of releasing commercial peripherals. How you reason the percentage of that group likely to buy their HMD is not the same as justifying assumptions regarding how many of a PC audience will buy Rift. But again, those are details I hadn't meant to discuss.

"Morpheox" wrote:

the way i see that question is that the mention that the number of hmds per console its limited to one, which makes sense.

Ah - likely you're right. Esp. since it was a liveblog and a lot of context went untyped. But although numbers would've been good, thankfully doesn't ruin the core point that Riftdevs can use Morpheus' debut to their advantage. When you're arguing anything regarding market or business, you don't just put forth a single argument. It's put forth in context. Sony adds to our arsenal.

Raven
Protege
"DarkAkuma" wrote:
I believe you're taking that quote out of context or intent of meaning. I think it's meaning is regarding the social/multi-player aspect of the PS4 console, and wondering if you can use 2 HMDs with one console. As during their event they talked about a multi-player shared experience scenario.

But I may have misunderstood myself. It's kind of a ambiguous Q&A.

Yeah. I think you may be right. It was ambiguous and some context was likely missing. Should've just dropped the quote since my point was basically (in simplified terms) that with Sony moving into VR, it can help all Riftdevs. Wanted to point this out for perhaps a younger, newer indies that may be lurking here, considering moving into VR dev for Rift.