cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Room-sized tracking for Rift - excited or meh?

VizionVR
Rising Star
So, I'm just curious. Now that small, room-scale tracking will be available for the Oculus Rift, how many of you plan to take advantage of this? Or...How many of you WISH you could take advantage of this if you had the space to do it? Or...Are you waiting for untethered VR before exploring a space larger than your butt? 🙂

I'm excited. Seated VR for anything other than a cockpit game is NOT VR. Holodeck or bust, baby!
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
76 REPLIES 76

g4c
Explorer
What size space are we talking?
Android VR Developer. https://twitter.com/SiliconDroid

VizionVR
Rising Star
"g4c" wrote:
What size space are we talking?

E3 demo was a 12' x 12' room. But you can go smaller than that of course.

VizionVR
Rising Star
I should also mention right now that I HOPE this doesn't turn into yet another tracking COMPARISON thread!!!

Welby
Adventurer
I'm ABSOLUTELY,TREMENDUSLY excited for the room scale experience..

I'll try to get as much as possible space to make it happen.

Malkmus1979
Explorer
This is something I'm quite excited about. So I know I won't be able to resist buying the Vive since it will be out first, then of course The Rift, and because I already have a PS4, Morpheus as well. I'm imagining that Morpheus will be for the living room tv, Rift in the office and the Vive will be placed in my garage. I'm really excited to push the boundaries of the Vive as I've heard that with even two lighthouses devs have been able to achieve a 20x20 range. The only thing I'm wondering is if it's a bad idea to keep a pc in a garage (because of the heat)?

Anyway, have you guys seen the new Robinson gameplay? Crytek has heavily implied Touch/Vive input is forthcoming. I think this is the game I'm now anticipating the most:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW7LjEe2qE8

Chivas
Expert Protege
I still don't get the fascination with room size VR. I'm not sure how many things can be effectively simulated in a 15x15 room. I get the treadmill type addons where you can simulate moving around in almost unlimited areas. I do see it being effective in large commercial areas, but I doubt enough people will have rooms safe enough to blindly run around waving wands, to bother marketing for.

VizionVR
Rising Star
"Malkmus1979" wrote:
This is something I'm quite excited about. So I know I won't be able to resist buying the Vive since it will be out first, then of course The Rift, and because I already have a PS4, Morpheus as well. I'm imagining that Morpheus will be for the living room tv, Rift in the office and the Vive will be placed in my garage. I'm really excited to push the boundaries of the Vive as I've heard that with even two lighthouses devs have been able to achieve a 20x20 range. The only thing I'm wondering is if it's a bad idea to keep a pc in a garage (because of the heat)?

Anyway, have you guys seen the new Robinson gameplay? Crytek has heavily implied Touch/Vive input is forthcoming. I think this is the game I'm now anticipating the most:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW7LjEe2qE8

That looks fantastic. But it looks like whoever is playing it is doing it seated, but with hand tracking. The player's fingers make an appearance at the :40 mark.

snappahead
Expert Protege
I'm excited for it. Room scale is a great option for those of us that can use it. Even if it's limited in gameplay options, being able to walk a little bit is huge to me and being able to move around without worrying about the boundaries of the tracking volume is just as big. Everyone should be happy about bigger tracking spaces.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

Malkmus1979
Explorer
It currently is only playable seated with a gamepad as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6VNslWkog4