cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Runtime error

snappahead
Expert Protege
I see others having the same issue, so I figure a thread is justified for this.

After installing Runtime, you're prompted to reboot. Upon reboot, you're greeted with an error that reads

Can't find Script Engine "VBScript" For Script "C:\ProgramFiles(x86) Oculus\Service\ Launch And Restart.vbs

Waiting for a solution now.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti
18 REPLIES 18

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I wonder if that's related to the problem you were having while installing the runtime? Mine installed without issue, and I haven't had an error after rebooting (Win 7 Home Premium).

Maybe uninstall and reinstall?

EDIT: Do you have the folder mentioned in the error message? The script file you're missing is about 2 KB, I can send it to you if the problem persists.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

snappahead
Expert Protege
Sorry, had to go to work, but thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I'm just an enthusiast and terrible with stuff like this, so if you're right, I wouldn't know. I'll try to figure it out once I'm done with work. Why would I be missing a file if I'm downloading he same thing as everyone else?

nalex66
MVP
MVP
"Snappahead" wrote:
I see others having the same issue, so I figure a thread is justified for this.

After installing Runtime, you're prompted to reboot. Upon reboot, you're greeted with an error that reads

Can't find Script Engine "VBScript" For Script "C:\ProgramFiles(x86) Oculus\Service\ Launch And Restart.vbs

Waiting for a solution now.

Having looked at your error message again, I realize that it's not the script file you're missing, but the script engine. I think the first step should definitely be to uninstall the runtime (you can do this either through the uninstall utility under Oculus Runtime in the Start menu, or through the Control Panel Uninstall utility), reboot, and try installing it again.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

snappahead
Expert Protege
Thanks. I'll give it a try.

snappahead
Expert Protege
Ok was able to try that, but it didn't work. Getting really frustrated. I'm assuming no one on this board besides me is getting this. I saw a few guess on reddit having this problem, but I don't think they knew what the deal was either. It's not a big deal as I've got time, but it's one of those things that's hard to let go when there's an annoying problem you can't figure out.

snappahead
Expert Protege
A guy on the reddit says he has a solution, but it's complicated and I'm confused. Is this the easiest way to do this?

Ressolved: Get into safe mode. (F8 on startup, keep trying on windows 8). Device manager, disabled graphics adapter. Restart, re-install oculus runtime in normal mode with the graphics cards disabled then uninstall it again (The difference is the oculus uninstaller apparently is faulty in safe mode.) Then re-enable your graphics card.

Sappharad
Honored Guest
It would be pretty amusing for them to do this on purpose for anyone who doesn't have Visual Studio installed. (Since VB comes by default with VS2012 or later and you can't turn individual languages off in the installer anymore) And if you're installing the SDK on Windows, wouldn't you be using Visual C++ to develop against it? I guess not for Unity... But anyway this looks like it is a common problem with windows and you don't need Visual Studio installed to run VBScript.

A quick google search shows that this happens when the VBscript runtime isn't registered properly on your machine, and it's probably not oculus' fault. This link seems to offer two solutions to the problem:
http://triplescomputers.com/blog/casestudies/solution-cant-find-script-engine-vbscript-for-script/

ThreeEyes
Explorer
Nice. So it's generally uninstalling McAfee or Avast antivirus that leaves the link to vbscript broken.

Did that fix you up?
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

equusvenustas
Honored Guest
Mcafee. that piece of s**t causing problems even uninstalled :x
Knowledge, the ever growing and most powerful tool known. Pick it up! the common fools are scared of it!