cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STOP ASKING TO SETUP CONTROLLERS

seiler270
Explorer
is there ANY WAY to get rid of this nag screen?

The only games I play in VR are racing and flight sims,  I do not use the controllers and I do not stand up or move around.

yet every time I start any game...   I get kicked out and have to click "skip controller setup"  in a game like asseto corsa where you go to and from VR between races it means I have to do this over and over again every time I play.

I removed my controllers from the device list hoping that would make it stop looking for them.. nope.

Is there any way to set it to stop asking about the damn controllers?  And "setup play area"  that too.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

For anyone still using a Rift S and having this problem, I found a workaround - if you are willing to completely get rid of the Oculus Home/Dash thing.

Get the program from this github and complete the 'Installation' section: https://github.com/BunniKaitlyn/OculusKiller

Then the rest of the instructions are mostly irrelevant or outdated, so all you really need to do is launch SteamVR, right click it and open Settings, then go to the OpenXR tab and set OpenXR Runtime to SteamVR and toggle Meta Plugin Compatibility to On, like in this screenshot:

fKaV8Qb

This allows to play all games straight from Steam without having the Oculus software nag about controllers or bounding box. In some games (like Assetto Corsa with Content Manager) you will have to choose 'OpenVR' as your rendering mode instead of 'Oculus' to make it work. Also tested in Dirt 2.0 and Richard Burns Rally (RSF edition with OpenRBRVR plugin).

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Start the controller setup.
Set floor height as directed.
Skip guardian setup.
This should take care of it.

You can also remove the batteries from the controllers.

seiler270
Explorer
Well Ive completed guardian setup 4 or 5 times now, click finish, play games.. all good.   finish, hang up rift.
A bit later put it back on "play area not defined"  go through entire setup again, rinse and repeat.

This sucks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

seiler270 said:

Well Ive completed guardian setup 4 or 5 times now, click finish, play games.. all good.   finish, hang up rift.
A bit later put it back on "play area not defined"  go through entire setup again, rinse and repeat.

This sucks.

Why not do as I suggested to you? You stated:

"The only games I play in VR are racing and flight sims,  I do not use the controllers and I do not stand up or move around."

As far as your issue, when you are putting the headset back on are you in approximately the same position in your setup that you were previously? For some reason the software is thinking it has changed it would seem.

WilliamSternrit
Honored Guest

dburne said:

Start the controller setup.
Set floor height as directed.
Skip guardian setup.
This should take care of it.

You can also remove the batteries from the controllers.

This does not solve it and therefore there should be the option to remove controllers completely and prevent the setup from starting. Oculus will sooner or later ask you again to setup the controllers. Regardless that you have done so before. This experience is frustrating and just amateur programming as if the makers of the headset never used it. Once I set it up it must remember the settings and not randomly forget them. What is even worse, the skip button does nothing. Controller setup will re-open immediately after.

Anonymous
Not applicable
In the Facebook world, Facebook games play you...
 😉 

Virago54
Honored Guest

I have the same problem. I believe that the problem is that the programmers never considered that someone might play their games without these controllers.  It has to be added to the software or it will never stop.

kier.oneil
Honored Guest

I have this exact same problem. Sim racer/flyer and whenever I go into iRacing I get the "play area not defined" message. Why doesn't it remember what it was. I literally sit in the same place for all my games. I have tried removing the batteries and I still get the prompts. The only reason I have batteries in the hand controllers is because I need to click the setup prompts. It's really a pain and I wish there were a way to bypass play area setup for people like me and original poster.

That doesn't work; for some reason Oculus looses the setup and asks you to do it again.  

To say the least, it's really annoying to loose controls in a game because Oculus is asking you to run setup.

He did.  I did also, it doesn't work, because Oculus looses the setup and asks you to run setup again every time you play a game.   Not only that, but Oculus asks you to run setup every 30 seconds or so, even after you click "Skip Setup"  

Why doesn't oculus include an option to play without controllers; do they not realize it's possible to play without controllers???

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?