cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sad lil houseplant seeks help from internet Geniuses, re: Home Importing

Monstaah
Level 7
After finding this awesome post here, https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/8tlcdy/simple_pipeline_for_converting_sketchfab_models/

I've unfortunately come undone at the GLB Packer, and i'm getting this 932hjqyw9ow2.jpg

Anybody with more smarts than myself (likely wont take much) able to explain or help resolve this???
PC Specs:

Black Box, with wires & some kind of electronicy stuff inside..
oooh it even has lights!! 😃
12 REPLIES 12

LZoltowski
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Have you validated it just to see if it's compliant?

http://github.khronos.org/glTF-Validator/
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Digikid1
Level 12
Great information. Will try to do something in a couple days. 

Monstaah
Level 7

Have you validated it just to see if it's compliant?

http://github.khronos.org/glTF-Validator/

I have now..lol.. thanks for that link mate, seems like my file is valid, any guesses after that?
PC Specs:

Digikid1
Level 12
Well I managed to import one file that I found online but.....ITS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!

Monstaah
Level 7

Digikid1 said:

Well I managed to import one file that I found online but.....ITS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!

Digikid1, did ya follow the guide here mate? (definitely not my doing)    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/8tlcdy/simple_pipeline_for_converting_sketchfab_models/

I've got about 10 models (mostly potions & books) in my home now, definitely recommend following that and bringing them into your home to see how big they are, then if they're to big take the file back into three.js and reduce them again. I know it's a bit finagley but I've managed to get some reasonably acceptable proportions in 2 or 3 goes. It kinda sucks cause you'll end up with multiples of the same file in your import list (that you can't get rid of presently), but it is definitely doable. 😃
PC Specs:

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Monstaah
I also had some problems with this converter, so I use this one instead : 
https://blackthread.io/gltf-converter/

You have to drop the object file along with its textures, in the same time ^^. Then you put it in three.js editor and change the size, and you know the rest.

By the way :  

bringing them into your home to see how big they are, then if they're to big take the file back into three.js and reduce them again.

I would rather suggest the exact opposite: reduce the size of the GLB file before putting them in Home ^^. By default, the size will be too big so you'll have to make it 0.1 to get it right anyway. I'm not sure, but I suspect Oculus made Home small right from the beginning. This would make it a dollhouse... and we're the dolls trapped inside, lol.
Anyway, doing that way will prevent you from having inappropriately-sized objects in your import list. This is a temporary solution, for the time being.
Besides, if the object is too big in Home, it will just make a mess of your decoration (the huge object can easily hit the other ones). I mean, it's not hard to rectify, but it's still annoying xD.

Digikid1
Level 12
I know nothing about models....just searched online and found a gltb file and ran it through a online converter. 

Something that’s supposed to fit in your hand is now floating in space and is the size of a planet. LOL

Monstaah
Level 7

I would rather suggest the exact opposite: reduce the size of the GLB file before putting them in Home ^^. By default, the size will be too big so you'll have to make it 0.1 to get it right anyway. I'm not sure, but I suspect Oculus made Home small right from the beginning. This would make it a dollhouse... and we're the dolls trapped inside, lol.

I did recommend following that guide mate, which does instruct you to reduce the scale down to 0.1 before taking them into your home, my recommendation was to then take them back and scale them down again if they're still to large.

Actually I've got a feeling our homes are 100% to scale, don't quote me but i'm guessing it's designed in colab with the medium team which uses that format, or so I think I've read somewhere..

Digikid1 said:

I know nothing about models....just searched online and found a gltb file and ran it through a online converter. 

Something that’s supposed to fit in your hand is now floating in space and is the size of a planet. LOL

yeah sorry dude, wish someone would do a tutorial, the only 2 videos I found over on YT were both in another language and used different sites and tools. i'm just following that guide to the letter cause i'm faaaaaar from intelligent myself mate..lol 😄  

PC Specs:

Anonymous
Not applicable
My bad, sorry xD!

I dont know, but when the object has the right size in Blender, then in Unity, then in three.js, then not in Home, it does raise some doubts, lol.
I never tried importing Medium in Home, but I saw they just released an interesting update there. Time to check if it's worth it. Hopefully there won't be the size problem with that.