cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung creating 5.9-inch 4K Super AMOLED display

13thFloor
Honored Guest
Not sure if this is old news but did a search and couldn't find anything.

Looks like the long sort after 4k display is on the horizon. Probably due to Oculus/Samsung relationship but 747ppi seems to be coming soon. And I'd guess 5.9" screen is a good size for the Oculus CV1?

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-reportedly-creating-6-inch-4k-super-amoled-display/

Considering 2k is a good start 4k would be perfect to have so soon!!! Just need the GPU's to power the VR display properly now!!
Intel i920@4ghz, 12gb ram, Windows 7 Nvidia GTX 970 4gb, 120gb SSD, OR Dev Kit 1&2
3 REPLIES 3

Christophe
Honored Guest
You can have a read at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11909

StevieCQ
Honored Guest
I've read that this screen is for the Note 5 coming out next year, which of course means that the version of Gear VR for this phone will be 4K, regardless of whatever gpu performance is available at that time. I can't imagine using a CV1 with 1440 when I can have 4K. John Carmack did mention that it was possible to use interlacing to get 120Hz out of a 60Hz screen by alternating every other line on the display. It's probably not a coincidence that he brought this up. Either way, as much as I am a fan of Oculus, I will buy the one with the highest pixel density as long as it is optimized for VR.

Gizmotweak
Explorer
Just in time for DK3 preorders?

hehehe
This space available for advertising.