cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sanitizing Oculus device

devdatta_puntam
Honored Guest
Hi All,
With Covid-19( Coronavirus), how do you plan to sanitize your oculus device in future , especially when there would be multiple users using the same device whether it is at Development in your studio, or playing at a Entertainment center?
18 REPLIES 18

You could go to extremes and buy individual faceplates.

Or you use the white hygienic disposable masks.

And you use wipes for the lenses and controllers.

Other than individual headsets i can't think of much more you can do?  I can imagine this, even post Covid-19 could put a lot of people off sharing HMDs.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

Hi All,
With Covid-19( Coronavirus), how do you plan to sanitize your oculus device in future , especially when there would be multiple users using the same device whether it is at Development in your studio, or playing at a Entertainment center?

I think it would be more prudent to not have mutiple users sharing a device at this point because these are extreme times and i think caution is the only way to stay safe and not help encourage the spread of this virus and keep everyone safe.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

OmegaM4N said:

Hi All,

I think it would be more prudent to not have mutiple users sharing a device at this point because these are extreme times and i think caution is the only way to stay safe and not help encourage the spread of this virus and keep everyone safe.

Agree with what you say @OmegaM4N but he does say in future and i do believe this could hit future markets and may also make everybody more aware of hygiene - which isn't a bad thing of course.

devdatta_puntam
Honored Guest

OmegaM4N said:

Hi All,

Agree with what you say @OmegaM4N but he does say in future and i do believe this could hit future markets and may also make everybody more aware of hygiene - which isn't a bad thing of course.

Right, how do we deal this in future. As you mentioned hygienic disposable masks and wiping controllers is one option. Its just not about us, but also how Oculus plans to overcome this situation, as institutional sales would be hampered.

OmegaM4N said:

Hi All,

Right, how do we deal this in future. As you mentioned hygienic disposable masks and wiping controllers is one option. Its just not about us, but also how Oculus plans to overcome this situation, as institutional sales would be hampered.

Really not sure.  It's something that should be addressed by Oculus i suppose, at Oculus Connect.

Good topic!

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
I got a rubber face cover and matching rubber grips for the controllers. I use alcohol wipes to clean between. For my Rifts I am luncky enough to have a 3-D printer so I printed a couple of face plates and got leather face pads that can also be cleaned with alcohol. A plus is it has a nose flap to block out more light.

I think if you are worried about someone having the virus, they shouldn't be in your house. If they made it that far, you might as well share your headset. I couldn't stand putting on my Rift with the original face plate after my son had sweat all over it playing beat saber. This was long before Covid-19. Sweat is just gross, at least someone else's.

hwk4w872xmbh.jpg

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

ROBYER1
Protege
I am currently working on a project where some form of testing is required and I have no option but to disinfect every wipeable part of the headset. The main issue is the lenses which cannot come into contact with alcohol-based substances like wet wipes.

Is there any guidance on how to actually disinfect the lenses? With the lenses being in close contact with the user at all times, simply wiping them off with a dry cloth is not ideal from en ethics point of view.

wuzp
Rising Star

Hi All,

"Entertainment Center" use:
  • If you are the business owner... you really shouldn't, unless you make users sign waivers; in addition to taking "reasonable precautions."
  • As a patron... you should buy your own headset and stay at home.
As for "Development in your studio," that kinda depends:
  • If it's "just you" with the occasional client, buy 2 facial interfaces (the foam thing); one for you and one for the client.  As long as you wipe down or disinfect the client interface AND clients are spaced more than 3 days apart, it should suffice.  Controllers can be wrapped in plastic; which is what I've noticed hotels doing with TV remotes.
  • If it's you and "other developers," have everyone purchase their own headsets.  There are plenty of occupations in which (usually lower paid than developer) workers must provide their own tools.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Hi All,

Hygiene in commercial entertainment environments has always been a concern - be it the cleaning of 3D glasses in cinemas, bowing shoes, lasertag kits or helmets in go-kart. Now with the COVID conditions the need to VR headsets in commercial use to be cleaned and ensure sanitization has grown in public focus.

The LBE VR industry has created a standard protocol for the operation and usage of the machines in the sector (below) and this also includes the operator practice and cleaning materials. Along with this our industry si also adopting the use of UV-C machines that offer cleaning process against the pathogen that surpasses what can be achieved at home so doubling down on the health and security of our guests and staff.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959