cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should games be Designed for Dk2?

yoyoguyss1
Explorer
Hi,

As DK2 adds the feature that enables you lean towards the details using your head and see the details which is not possible in most standard games I have played with a mouse I do not own a DK1 but I was wondering the games which are made for DK1 like Senza Peso etc will they already support DK2 or do they need to be re-made completely? Basically I was wondering do all the games DK1 support the DK2s Additional Feature ?
9 REPLIES 9

Inditronic
Explorer
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dk1+dk2+compatibility

or in short DK1 Software must be recompiled to run on DK2 and new features have to be added if dev wants to make use of them.

Gerald
Expert Protege
As long as the title is made in UE4 or Unity (or similar) it is pretty much just updating the asset. In a few cases it might be a good idea to prevent gamers from putting their heads through objects with the new positional tracking.

Otherwise we will certainly make use of the new functionalities ... for example no longer having to battle drift makes some controls available that were really annoying with drift.
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

cybereality
Grand Champion
Old DK1 content will need to be updated to support DK2, but it's not like the game has to be completely remade. It's mostly just an issue of the developer updating to the latest SDK and modifying some of the things that have changed.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

yoyoguyss1
Explorer
Ah I see do its just an update but like Gerald said it would be Weird to move your head through objects or get stopped in game but Having no resistance when the stop motion occurs in game thus in real life this kinda ruins immersion , Guess I will leave it to the developers to find a solution to this 😄

Alci
Honored Guest
already did. The last one will also be implemented in EVE Valkyrie

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/SergioHidalgo/20140611/219121/VR_Letting_go_of_the_avatar.php

ThreeEyes
Explorer
That's a great article! Well written explanation and what looks like a really good solution.
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

rupy
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
Old DK1 content will need to be updated to support DK2, but it's not like the game has to be completely remade. It's mostly just an issue of the developer updating to the latest SDK and modifying some of the things that have changed.

How do you get the ovr.getVScreenSize(); from the 0.3.2 SDK?
"It's like Homeworld in first person." Disable Aero and vSync for a completely simulator sickness free experience with 2xHz FPS. Keep the config utility open for tracking to work.

jherico
Adventurer
"rupy" wrote:
"cybereality" wrote:

How do you get the ovr.getVScreenSize(); from the DK2?

The ovrHmdDesc structure contains the screen resolution. Why would you need the physical screen size?
Brad Davis - Developer for High Fidelity Co-author of Oculus Rift in Action

rupy
Honored Guest
To be able to calculate the center of the lenses, like this post remember:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=8158
"It's like Homeworld in first person." Disable Aero and vSync for a completely simulator sickness free experience with 2xHz FPS. Keep the config utility open for tracking to work.