cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should kickstarter backers get their money back

wazzoz99
Honored Guest
At the news that Palmer sold out to facebook, I was pretty upset. It felt like everything he stood for was a lie and I suspected this was his plan all along, to convince naive gamers that he would support ideals of oppenness and give the finger to the soulles corps while starting aa revoluution, while in fact he was just waiting for an offer from the corps. He used us, the backers, as a stool to eventually sell out big time. So I think in the the context of this major deception, he should refund us our hard earned cash. The point of kickstarter was to start a tech revolution to show that you dont need soulless corps to have a chance of market penetration, that ideals of oppenness and unnhindered innovation can emerge from indie developers. While facebook is the antithesis of those ideals. Therefore I want my money back
29 REPLIES 29

Br0ken
Honored Guest
"wazzoz99" wrote:
The point of kickstarter was to start a tech revolution to show that you dont need soulless corps to have a chance of market penetration

Any example? 😉

SonyWinsVR
Honored Guest
You probably should from a moral standpoint, but it won't ever happen. Maybe now the next device that goes thru Kickstarter should instead sell shares of their company instead of giving out a beta version of their product.

mrdigi
Honored Guest
The kickstarter was to produce a dev kit that's already been produced. That's really all that was owed. Not sure how many times this needs to be stated.

Timech187
Honored Guest
Maybe they can get the same reach around that Palmer gave Mark?

Or yeah, money would be nice for those folks.

goettel
Explorer
I think you misunderstood crowd-funding there, buddy.

In any case: no, they shouldn't.

Vin
Explorer
The answer to this is clearly and laughably no. The point of the Kickstarter was for people who wanted to work with this particular implementation of technology to buy into the business model that was presented to the public at the time, and to acquire rewards based on their level of investment.

At no point in the Kickstarter was there ever any guarantee for future whatevers, beyond the initial run of product and non-refundable investment.

langknow
Honored Guest
No, you shouldn't get your money back.

And all this hatred for facebook is unfounded and borderline hipsterish.

It reminds me of the hate that Twilight, Hunger Games, 50 Shades of Grey, and Lord of the Rings get when they got popular.

drash
Heroic Explorer
When I backed the Kickstarter for $300, this was what I pledged for:

EARLY RIFT DEVELOPER KIT + DOOM 3 BFG: Try the Rift for yourself now! You'll receive a developer kit, perfect for the established or indie game developer interested in working with the Rift immediately. This also includes a copy of Doom 3 BFG and full access to our Developer Center for our SDK, docs, samples, and engine integrations! (Please add $30 for international shipping)

I got exactly what I paid for, plus a very nice case to put it in. Sure, DOOM 3 BFG didn't pan out, but we already know why that is, and Oculus already made amends by offering other things like Steam credit or Oculus store credit. On top of these tangible goods, I also got myself a new hobby, and something to be excited about for a full year and a half (and hopefully for many more years).

So... the answer to your question is no.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

MannyLectro
Explorer
Kickstarter is not made so that people can buy shares of a company. It is made so that you help kick start a project. What happens to it later is up to the ones in charge. You are the one judging if the project is interesting or not and you are the one taking the risk that your money wont be always used the way you want.

Changing this would kill crowdfounding, and I certainly hope it wont happen.
Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514