cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple eye tracking to improve performance

kongking
Explorer
We know about Fove's attempt. I'd say it's too bold again - too much latency. How about dividing the screen to 9 small areas and work that way? Should be many times faster than to try pinpoint the exact spot of the pupils.

Should be doable. All it needs is an extremely low-res camera to each eye and compare the images 9x2 times. Makes the hmd a wee bit more costly but doesn't require 1500$ PC (and as we also know - thats the real issue of VR today)
9 REPLIES 9

Synthetic
Rising Star
have to be some amazing lenses in the FOV tracking headset

marikcraven
Expert Protege

kongking said:
Should be doable. All it needs is an extremely low-res camera to each eye and compare the images 9x2 times. Makes the hmd a wee bit more costly but doesn't require 1500$ PC (and as we also know - thats the real issue of VR today)

So build it then. :smile: 

kongking
Explorer
That'd be for CV2. To reduce PC cost really. I just wanna consume:)

marikcraven
Expert Protege
So then you don't really know if that's feasible or doable? That makes me sad. I thought you had answers.

kongking
Explorer
That'd be for CV2. To reduce PC cost really. I just wanna consume:)

kongking
Explorer
Im so sad because only Fove went that way:(

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well they wont really come to market till CV2 - even if they come even a bit before that, they will be so behind in the market, they wont be able to really live unless they can really impress over full on tracking that Oculus or Vive has made. With that said, there are other companies and even FOVE that are in talks/wanting to get in talks with these two companies to bring eye tracking to VR without costing too much. It'll be still another 2 years before we really see it in the customer market, but by then we will have GPUs that could support 4k displays, increase FOV, and eye tracking will be the key to bring both of them together all over 90 or 120hzs.

obzen
Expert Protege
There's nothing simple about eye tracking.
DK1 FREAK...

kongking
Explorer
I meant simple for 'puter.