cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, how close are we to a similar thing to ready player one?

prag.54377
Honored Guest
I dont know anything abput modern virtual reality, but is there something near that? Or are we more headed into the augmented reality for now? I saw a couple of vids of people transforming the exterior, but is it too far away in time to be inserted matrix style? Graphics on modern games are stupidly realistic, not perfect, but man they work. So a skyrim kind of game could be feasible? With sensitivity and stuff? I think that is much more difficult to achieve.

I know i may spund like an idiot, but i'm 41. I have played games my whole life, and viewing how deepfakes and AI in general is making technology improve exponentially, meta existing, just needing a graphical overhaul, i would love to think thwt i could be young again at 75, fighting dragons and stuff like that.

I hope i can live to see that day.
11 REPLIES 11

The_1st_Dark_Lord_Morgoth
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

That would be really cool to see! I remember watching that movie and thinking how cool it would be when we got to that level of tech. I've seen some companies make stationary platforms to make it seem like you're running in the game, like in real life. That might be the closest thing we have for now. What I kind of hope for is something like the anime Sword Art Online, where it's full-dive VR. Imagine doing a Dragon Ball Z full-dive VR game. That would be so cool!

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The force shall free me.

I'm older than you @prag.54377 but likewise, I'd like to think we'll have something like it within my lifetime.

If it relies on PC power, I'd hate to imagine what the price of graphics cards are by then the way Nvidia are going. Guessing the tech will be as desirable as a house with similar repayments. If Quests get 20% boost with each gen, it'll be 100 times more poweful in about 70 years (don't trust my maths 😗).

...I'm hoping for life-extending healthcare to be a thing well before that.

13700K, RTX 4070 Ti, Asus ROG Strix Z790-A Gaming, Corsair H150i Capellix, 64GB Corsair Vengence DDR5, Corsair 5000D Airflow, 4TB Samsung 870 , 2TB Samsung 990 Pro x 2, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, Quest, 2, 3, Pro

Choleni
MVP
MVP

Life-extending healthcare, so you can continue playing vr.
@DaftnDirect  you should put this in your signature....it's just priceless🤣

app.267624
Honored Guest

Super 

Lol, maybe for us older folk, the more likely scenario is we'll be able to transfer ourselves to AI before we pop our clogs and live in the virtual world directly without the need for hardware... well just the servers. ChatGPT-50.

...or are we already there?

13700K, RTX 4070 Ti, Asus ROG Strix Z790-A Gaming, Corsair H150i Capellix, 64GB Corsair Vengence DDR5, Corsair 5000D Airflow, 4TB Samsung 870 , 2TB Samsung 990 Pro x 2, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, Quest, 2, 3, Pro

🤔hopefully cloud backup works.....

.......just in case that the severs go down.

I lost a whole day couple weeks back... either the servers or the lager from the night before!

This would explain some people I know, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't pass the Turing test.

@DaftnDirect wrote:

Lol, maybe for us older folk, the more likely scenario is we'll be able to transfer ourselves to AI before we pop our clogs and live in the virtual world directly without the need for hardware... well just the servers. ChatGPT-50.

...or are we already there?

Just make sure you play the game Soma before deciding to "transfer" yourself.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

lol....i'm sure, it's fault of the servers, the beer can't be the reason😂