cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Star Citizen (VorpX temp solution)

Finney
Honored Guest
Hey guys. Managed to get Star Citizen working using VorpX and some toying, and some sickness (which I never get from my VR set until trying this).

I was unable to get the gimbaled systems working in conjunction with freelook, so to speak. When I'm feeling better tomorrow I'll give it another go. In short...

Extended mode, VorpX setup, start the launcher, log in. DO NOT LAUNCH THE GAME USING THE LAUNCHER GAME BUTTON, Go into your docs(C:\Users\*YOURNAME*\Documents\StarCitizen\CitizenClient\Bin64), and locate the StarCitizen exe (not the launcher, although, leave the launcher open). Right click the exe and launch sending it to Oculus rift (doesn't work if you skip this or try a different way for me at least.). If it launches and looks kind of like its working (loading screen split correctly, but displayed poorly) you are on the right track. Use the normal DEL key function for VorpX to adjust from there. If you can't use the DEL key to bring up this window, it means that VorpX most likely failed to hook into the application.

Its only a temp solution to a long term problem. At least you can check your ships out in the hanger, and fly them in AC using your DK2 to hold you off until native support arrives. Disable the mouse pitch/yaw in keyboard functions keybindings, and make a toggle on your joysticks for freelook toggle to reset the view.

Like I said, currently, I didn't dig into the XML mappings to try and grab the right views for getting head tracking working with gimbal'd systems. I was getting sick.

It doesn't have positional tracking, only looking about. It emulates the mouse to control the looking around.
4 REPLIES 4

Glitch1336
Honored Guest
Thanks for posting this, I might give it a shot. It's good to see at least a tiny bit of progress on this. If we can get the gimbals working properly I might be able to finally take my DK2 off the shelf and really use it!

Why the motion sickness? Vorpx should be doing the warping properly so this is a bit confusing to me.

Actually it just occurred to me, they added a "Hands on Mouse and Stick" setting last patch, that should put the gimbal on the head tracking via the mouse emulation shouldn't it? Now I really need to go mess around with it!

Glitch1336
Honored Guest
OK, I think I might have the weapon tracking solved but can't get Vorpx to work.

Using opentrack to emulate TrackIR, using the Rift sensors should do the trick. The in game option for mouse aim was no good as it severely limits your range of motion. Opentrack should be far more accurate anyway.

The thing is I can't seem to get Star Citizen to work with Vorpx. I just installed it so it's the latest version for sure.

I fired up Vorpx and set that all up, minimized that to the tray. I opened the SC launcher and logged in but did not hit "launch", then navigated to the actual SC executable and right clicked. I hit "run as administrator" and the game launches but not VorpX enabled =(

Did I do anything wrong?

jhondidfool
Honored Guest
Downloading patch. This seems to be less of a mess than my previous setup.

Glitch1336
Honored Guest
Some added info for you guys after I got it working.

Issues/Warnings:

1) There is no stereo 3D in SC via VorpX currently. I found it seemed worth losing the 3D to get the much better resolution, but I sure did miss it.

2) The player model geometry becomes partly visible as you look around in the cockpit. This is nowhere near as big an issues as the old helmet bug, and is only mildly annoying. You can alleviate this a little bit by starting the headtracking up while sitting a couple inches further from the screen than you will be while playing.

3) FOR ME VorpX is always uncomfortable and causes eye strain no matter how much I tweak it. If you've used VorpX for other games without having this problem I'm pretty certain you won't have an issue with SC either. For me this is the only thing that is likely going to send me back to DK1 =(.

4) FOV- I think this is a general VorpX DK2 issue and not specific to SC. For me I can't get the FOV to fill the screen quite completely at least on the vertical. I don't actually recall if the horizontal FOV was the same way. This was annoying but not a serious issue.

Head tracking is actually easily solved with free software: I found that only the 2.3 release candidate (not guaranteed to be stable) worked properly with the Rift. Using this you can have your Rift emulate TrackIR which is supported currently with 6DOF! That's right, decent 6DOF head tracking in SC! https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/releases

Next up is to get VorpX to work with SC. I had to create a VorpX shortcut (see VorpX website on how to do that) for SC to get it to work. I spent hours to get this working, and the final thing I did to make it word was to PHYSICALLY disconnect all but one monitor. I thought disabling them via windows would be good enough but apparently not. First thing when you get the game working on the Rift will be to change the IPD setting so you stop seeing double. Make sure you have VorpX NOT running as administrator and head tracking disabled so opentrack can work it's magic.