cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting today, Horizon Worlds is open (to US and Canada)

kojack
MVP
MVP

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/9/22825139/meta-horizon-worlds-access-open-metaverse

https://uploadvr.com/horizon-worlds-beta-open-us-canada/

If you are in the US or Canada, Horizon Worlds is no longer invite only, anyone can join, if they are 18+.

A bit annoying that it's not world wide.

The Verge article says it's a Quest app. The UploadVR article says it's for Quest2 and Rift, support for Quest 1 will end Jan 13 2022.

I'm a bit surprised that Oculus is favouring the Rift over the Quest 1.

Really they should be pushing this for all headsets. Not just Oculus ones, but every brand.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
36 REPLIES 36

makhmudavaev
Protege

Anybody know how to get access from Soviet Union?

@makhmudavaev wrote:

Anybody know how to get access from Soviet Union?

You could probably try a VPN to fake being in Canada or US, but no guarantee that will work.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Hey there makhmudavaev, we appreciate your eagerness for Horizon Worlds! Currently, Horizon Worlds is open to US and Canada. We don't have a timeframe on when we'll support more countries, but keep an eye out so your the first to catch the news. Cheers!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

VPN didn't make a difference for me, I guess it's based on your account details.

Well, all I can do is add it to my wishlist.

I suspect timescales for worldwide release will depend on evaluating the amount of moderation required based on the initial users. Luckily American and Canadians always behave very well.

...Oz would be a whole different story

🙂

Disregard, it's working 🙂 I'll let you know how it is.

zozkul
Honored Guest

Meta made us sad. We bought the Quest 1 because it was a better device than the Rift S. However, Horizon Worlds does not currently support the Quest 1 devices anymore. Quest 1 was revolutionary for us and we bought these devices at risk. I feel left out right now.

You make a valid point @zozkul and I hope there's some way of making Horizon compatible with Quest again in the future, but that may mean reducing Horizon capabilities to make it compatible or stretching developer resources just a little too much to have different or scalable versions of the software.

If you had a choice of buying Quest 1 or Rift-S, does that mean you have a VR capable PC? in which case you will be able to use Horizon on your Quest 1 via the PC using Link or Air Link.

I’m in the us and over 18 but the app still says coming soon?

I'll agree Quest1 support would be great.

If there are some demanding features, there could be 2 separate versions of Horizon Worlds software (for each device). That way support for Metaverse like ecosystem could be tested also. So both versions will use same services (like "avatars" or "moderation"... etc). Only different parts of software will go into separate versions. All other will be add as "services". That way you could add support for other headset manufactures/drives/software. They will access same "services".

Nekto2
Superstar

> Was interesting to see the current age restriction - a lot of stories about the original close Beta, and experienced some of them regarding the "teen-speak". Moderation is going to be a vital element of this. 

I think there could be opposite view to this case. Instead of blocking/moderating people you do not like you could have tools to find people you will like 🙂

They are not your friends (and may be you will not like to add all of them as friends), but you could have a tool to mark them as people you like. That is not rating or any public reward, instead it is personal subjective value. It will not be displayed to all. But it will be used to "recommend" you new people to talk to (you will be add to same public rooms).

So the idea is "instead of changing the whole world you could change your personal view of the world".

And that way it is easy to solve.

Ok there could be some random people in recommendations also, so you will not happen in a bubble with exact same people.

And for kids and teens... they are not "acting bad". That is just a way to live in that age. That is not a reason to "block them all". But they could talk to themselves and you could just find other people you like to talk to.