cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State of Oculus Rift CV1 Sensors and Controllers worldwide availability

Imgartn
Protege
Hello,

I owned CV1 for a couple of years now and am really happy with it.
I understand that CV1 was discontinued but now there is a very poor state of its support. Taking into account that there are still a lot of CV1 in use.
A lot of people cannot setup 3 sensor tracking. You can see this by questions in shops, community posts and lack of sensors in retail (there are actually no sensors, at all).
There is a high demand on sensors with no new ones available and used ones sold for double and triple the price. And it will become even worse over time.
With controllers it's even worse. Pair of them costs around 350$ for new and a 200$ for used. Controllers is different kind of issue. They are constantly in use. They tend to break and buttons tend to wear. At some point a lot of people will end up with working headset without possibility to use it.
VR headsets are not cheap. It's not an every day product. It's not a thing that can simply be replaced. Especially considering contemporary demand. Especially if new ones are inferior in some way (Rift S display type, sound, tracking - dependency on lighting, dead zones, battery life).

I personally am frustrated and I think a lot of people share this feeling.
It feels that we were dumped. It gives Oculus a bad image.
If I were pro Oculus all the time and really wanted for company to bloom - frustration from different parts (desktop client usability, how shop and sales are organized, hardware support) will make me think when following generation of headset appears.
40 REPLIES 40

Imgartn
Protege

RuneSR2 said:

That number is probably much closer to at least 260,000 CV1 users - not counting the many who might not use Steam. I think we estimated like 1.5 - 2 mill sold CV1s last year. 

It makes sense for me. Especially considering that Vive is Steam legacy. Oculus has it's own store.
My point was that there is a lot of active CV1 users. And there is a demand on sensors (360 degree tracking) and controllers (degradation). There is an obvious drought.
It may not be beneficial to do full blown dealer chain but at least if official store could have both controllers and sensors in stock it would be nice.

Imgartn
Protege

RuneSR2 said:

4 new bundles here - actually not very expensive:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oculus-Rift-Touch-Controllers-Bundle/dp/B073X8N1YW/ 

Thank you. 🙂
😄 Someone already bought one. I see only 3: 2 used + 1 new.
Price is very tempting.

Imgartn
Protege
<nvm, forum engine is weird>

Imgartn
Protege
Wow. I found such an interesting topic on forum while searching for information why there is no right touch controller in nature.
If my topic is more of an assumption based on real life experience. In this topic people share real issues:
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/88773/touch-controllers-for-original-rift

There is something morally wrong with the way the greedy Oculus corporation (aka Facebook) simply washed their hands of all aftermarket consumables for the Rift CV1. I've only had mine for three years and, other than a recent failure of the headset cable, I've not had any bother from it. Now that I need to order a new cable I find that there's no spares to be had other than second hand, often busted and overpriced offerings on Ebay and Amazon.

I read somewhere that the company employed by Oculus to make their CV1 cables went out of business. That seems enough for the big O to cease production on them.  Why can't they get another company to make them or, better still, release the schematics for third parties to make compatibles?  What's the issue with that I ask? It's not like Oculus have any care about the CV1 user community. What a waste of good kit!

The lucky ones are those who still have warranty on their units but don't expect a new replacement. you'll get a refurb unit instead.  Warranty support is a joke.

And you all keep buying them! Wait until the next gen comes out to replace the Rift S. Six months later your spares will dry up too. I refuse to pay all over again on a newer model just for the sake of a cable. If that's how Oculus plan to do business then they've just lost another customer, with many more to follow, no doubt. And yes, I do have a few games bought in the Oculus store but I don't care about losing them. Oculus can stick these up the proverbial enclosure too. 

Nekto2
Superstar

I refuse to pay all over again on a newer model just for the sake of a cable. If that's how Oculus plan to do business then they've just lost another customer, with many more to follow, no doubt.

Oculus plan is to get rid of any cables :lol:

Optional USB cable is standard one (high quality, but you could get 3rd party).

kojack
MVP
MVP

I read somewhere that the company employed by Oculus to make their CV1 cables went out of business. That seems enough for the big O to cease production on them.  Why can't they get another company to make them or, better still, release the schematics for third parties to make compatibles?  What's the issue with that I ask?

The cable used proprietary parts from that company, they owned the intellectual property, not Facebook.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Double_Shot
Adventurer
Oculus overlords do not allow buying and selling here and I do understand why (even if I don't like it) but it would be great if there was another venue somewhere else NOT eBay, that catered only to VR classifieds.  If I didn't already admin and co-own a busy, international website, I would consider starting one up and see if it worked.  Seems like there would be a market for such a venue.

HaselHoof
Adventurer

Imgartn said:

Wow. I found such an interesting topic on forum while searching for information why there is no right touch controller in nature.
If my topic is more of an assumption based on real life experience. In this topic people share real issues:
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/88773/touch-controllers-for-original-rift

You do realize The Oculus Rift CV1 came out in 2016 ?

Imgartn
Protege

HaselHoof You do realize The Oculus Rift CV1 came out in 2016 ?

I bought mine somewhere in 2018 and it's in perfectly working condition.
I don't think it's good to throw away perfectly working headset if new one got released.