cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Link Released for Quests

kojack
MVP
MVP

Steam Link was an app for streaming 2D Steam games to a phone or other device.

Valve has just released a new version of Steam Link (for free) that can wirelessly stream PC VR games to Quest headsets. This is basically an alternative to Airlink and Virtual Desktop.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/3823053915991825336

Over the last few hours its already got a lot of positive reviews on the Meta store, saying its better than Airlink.

https://www.meta.com/en-gb/experiences/5841245619310585/

Minimum Requirements:

• Wi-Fi: 5 GHz minimum, wired connection to PC
  • GPUs: NVIDIA (GTX970 or better)
  • Headset: Meta Quest 2, 3, or Pro

Hmm, Nvidia only? Also no Quest 1 support.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
5 REPLIES 5

kojack
MVP
MVP

I did a quick little test.

I tried Audica (steam vr version) on both Steam Link and Airlink.

I haven't looked for any settings for Steam Link, I just used it with whatever the defaults are.

Steam Link worked pretty well, but it looked worse than Airlink. Everything was slightly fuzzy. Also I had no audio, which makes a music game a bit hard to play. 🙂 On the other hand Airlink had more jittery controller tracking.

Of course generally I would never play the SteamVR version of Audica (I only bought it to test my Reverb G2). I'd either play the Quest native version on my Quest 3 or the Rift native version on my Rift-S (CV1 is better at Audica, but I don't have it hooked up at the moment).

If I can get audio working and improve the visual quality, Steam Link looks like it could be good.

(Important thing to remember, there's no Steam cross buy. If you buy a game like Audica on Steam you don't get the free Quest version like you do if you buy it from Meta. Also Steam Link can't access your Rift library, while Airlink can access both Rift and Steam libraries)

I tried starting a non-VR game, Talos Principle 2. It appeared in a floating window. I could interact with the menus using the controllers. But once in game the controls didn't work. I could look around a bit (head turn and controllers both bound to mouse look), but nothing else worked. Maybe a gamepad would help.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

franktheblindartist
Honored Guest

I tried it out with my quest 2 couldn’t get any audio coming into the headset at all. Was disappointed i’l. Try it again in future patches and maybe fiddle tomorrow again

kojack
MVP
MVP

There is an official forum for Steam Link on Quest here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/discussions/11/

Apparently the audio missing is a common issue. Valve says the Steam Link beta (available now) has fixes for it. Others have said they need to turn off exclusive control in the windows audio settings for the oculus audio device.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Great first release effort, thank you very much Valve. Works very well with my QPro/rtx4090.

My main complaint is that, compared to Air Link, you lose access to your Rift store games. You can use the app Revive to access them but this app can be a bit hit and miss.

Also, you need to add an OpenXR tab to Steam Link's SteamVR settings. This is missing when you use Steam Link so if you need to assign SteamVR as the default OpenXR runtime (eg.msfs and Hubris) you need to open the non-Link version of SteamVR and change this in settings/OpenXR tab. Bit of a pity that Steam Link cannot just use the Oculus OpenXR runtime because I think this is a bit more efficient than SteamVR. Ideally all OpenXR should be standardised imho.

I'm finding this is working better with my QPro than my Q3 because with eye tracking enabled on my QPro the foveative rendering isn't as aggressive.  Set the bandwidth to auto and encoding to 960.  If I go much below 800 I can really see the eye tracking doing its thing.  I  also allowed osc /eye tracking. 

Still fine tunning a few things but so far it works surprisingly well, with my QPro/rtx4090 anyway.  I don't seem to have any audio problems.  Just a little static when I first start up Steam Link.  always fun to play with new things, lol!

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I saw this on Reddit this morning--I added the Steam Link app to my library, but haven't gotten around to testing it yet. It's nice that they made it, but as has been mentioned, it lacks what VD and AirLink can do, which is unify your whole PCVR library.

I suspect this is a step towards Valve's own plans for a wireless mobile headset (and perhaps a Steam-based mobile game market for all the upcoming and existing mobile headsets).

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo