cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stero vision reduces jaggies

Bugnguts
Explorer
When I play games with 3D vision or the DK1 jaggies don't seem to be such a problem. I think it is part of how our minds process the image. With traditional 2D play both eyes see the same jagged edges. While in stereo vision the mind meshes two images, and in the processes jaggies are reduced. I want to know if others experiences this?

For example in Skyrim I only need about 2x Anti-aliasing in stereo vision, but if I play in 2D I need 8x anti-aliasing. The problem here is screen shots cannot show this since each image is scrutinized individually. When using the DK1 I easily see the screen door but objects in the scene do not have significant jaggies for this low resolution. Are there any articles about this? Have other forum members experienced this?
I was going to procrastinate today, but it looks like its going to have to wait for tomorrow.
5 REPLIES 5

Morpheox
Honored Guest
It have more to with the dk1 low resolution than from the convergence of the stereo vision.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I often get this same feeling. It could easily be due to your brain smashing two images into one, blurring the jaggies from each in such a way that it appears anti-aliased.

Liquidpinky
Honored Guest
I find that even with higher resolution stereoscopic 3D the jaggies are less of a problem, it isn't just an Oculus low res thing.
You can make up for some of the hardware work required for 3D by dropping AA a bit to compensate.

Bugnguts
Explorer
"Liquidpinky" wrote:
I find that even with higher resolution stereoscopic 3D the jaggies are less of a problem, it isn't just an Oculus low res thing.
You can make up for some of the hardware work required for 3D by dropping AA a bit to compensate.

"jngdwe" wrote:
I often get this same feeling. It could easily be due to your brain smashing two images into one, blurring the jaggies from each in such a way that it appears anti-aliased.

Good to know others expedience this. Be it my Asus 27 inch 1080x1920 120Hz or the Rift stereo vision reduces jaggies. This will make it hard for hardware sites to say what is enough to drive the Rift. They tend to like lowest, 0 x anti-aliasing settings and highest 16 x anti-aliasing settings. I wonder if there is a way to objectively test this.
I was going to procrastinate today, but it looks like its going to have to wait for tomorrow.

jotun
Honored Guest
I haven't used a Rift, but with 3D mode enabled on my Nintendo 3DS, the jaggies really stand out.

I normally play games without anti-aliasing. At high resolutions these days, the jaggies are really small and don't bother me much - I'd rather have a higher framerate.

But the 3DS has a relatively low resolution screen, so each pixel, and therefore each aliasing jaggy, is big and noticeable. In 2D mode it's a bit ugly, but not a big deal. But when I turn on 3D they become much more noticeable. Why? Because the two different camera angles cause the aliasing artifacts to show up in different places. They tend to shimmer or twinkle, as I guess my brain is going back and forth trying to decide which one is actually there.

That's for a low resolution screen with NO anti-aliasing, though. I can imagine the 3D could actually be a benefit with a higher resolution or with something like 2xAA. If the artifacts are smaller, the incongruencies could be less noticeable, and could blend together instead of standing out, lowering the threshold for "good enough" smoothness