cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tested: Vive review and interview

VizionVR
Rising Star
Here's the interview/review I've been waiting for.

Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
150 REPLIES 150

Skelator
Honored Guest
"Sharpfish" wrote:
Well I already have my 13x8 feet totally clear space freed up for what Vive offers... if Oculus wish to fill that walkable space with their tech instead then they are quite welcome to offer me that, otherwise Valve are getting my coins.

Remember to close all the windows in the room, or you might end up thanking Valve for all the Vive's wires you might have to cling too. :twisted:
Everything I do, is for the sake of evil. Almost>;{} Tianhe-2|1,375 TiB|12.4 PB|OS Kylin Linux|VR Input Marmalade Jars All my "POSTs" in this forum are fictitious. Any resemblance to real "FACTs", living or dead, is a miracle. 😉

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
Don't know if this is just a joke or a real concept. But I have to say: the design looks great.

http://htcsource.com/2015/04/htcs-cmo-p ... rettyPhoto

Btw: “HTC VR Haptic Touch” labeled across the front
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

Twitchmonkey
Explorer
Way too awesome to be real. Maybe for the Vive 6 in 2040.

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
"Twitchmonkey" wrote:
Way too awesome to be real. Maybe for the Vive 6 in 2040.

It's a concept. The question is: Is the concept real or not?

Twitchmonkey
Explorer
"RorschachPhoenix" wrote:

I can't imagine it would be, we're not going to see something like that produced, so why commission the concept? It's going to be plastic parts like Rift, and how would something like that even stay on the face?

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
"Twitchmonkey" wrote:

I can't imagine it would be, we're not going to see something like that produced, so why commission the concept? It's going to be plastic parts like Rift, and how would something like that even stay on the face?

This is also a concept:

Skelator
Honored Guest
Looks like HTC's version of GEARVR if you ask me, so no surprises there, it was inevitable.>;{}
Everything I do, is for the sake of evil. Almost>;{} Tianhe-2|1,375 TiB|12.4 PB|OS Kylin Linux|VR Input Marmalade Jars All my "POSTs" in this forum are fictitious. Any resemblance to real "FACTs", living or dead, is a miracle. 😉

NoxWings
Explorer
Back to the topic,

I'm actually not giving up on the rift, but I'm really concerned about a generic VR input. Valve + HTC Vive have an answer to that missing piece and Oculus is still not giving any sort of clue to that point.

Price is another concern but definitely I don't want to constraint my VR experiences to platformers and sims just because of that. STEM is the only option I see to play generic VR games with the rift, but it is pretty expensive and developers are starting to drop compatibility because of the continuous delays and the lack of dev kits.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't know if this is just a joke or a real concept. But I have to say: the design looks great.

http://htcsource.com/2015/04/htcs-cmo-p ... rettyPhoto

Btw: “HTC VR Haptic Touch” labeled across the front

XD they could actually ~ using thin-foldering LCD tech, but boy would that make this HDM well into the 1-1.5k alone as the tech would have to be all custom vs just using todays cell phone screens.

Sadly xD I hope it's true! lol, but something like that I can see coming out in the next 10 years easy enough with the rate and growth we're seeing in this field.

"NoxWings" wrote:
Back to the topic,

I'm actually not giving up on the rift, but I'm really concerned about a generic VR input. Valve + HTC Vive have an answer to that missing piece and Oculus is still not giving any sort of clue to that point.

Price is another concern but definitely I don't want to constraint my VR experiences to platformers and sims just because of that. STEM is the only option I see to play generic VR games with the rift, but it is pretty expensive and developers are starting to drop compatibility because of the continuous delays and the lack of dev kits.

You know ~ They could just use a hybrid system. The controllers don't need the HDM to work ~ just the lighthouse. So the controllers could in theory be made by everyone on a smaller scale.

On the Oulus, they could add the 4th type of input ~ hand controls using a the same tech they are develop with the camera. That would give people a choice then. Instead of having to turn on the light house + the controllers ~ they could just use their hands to gustier commands. Would make things easier when you just want to use the HDM + watch a movie vs having to carry the other hardware around.

Even thought Vive has the controllers ~ doesn't mean it has the prefect controller. It still has limits (room size, placement, cost, more failing parts, etc). I think we over look that when comparing.

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
"sad troll who think's he's funny and posts far too much drivel" wrote:

Remember to close all the windows in the room, or you might end up thanking Valve for all the Vive's wires you might have to cling too.

1. Consumer Vive will have ONE single wire. Sorry if you find that too hard to deal with.

2. Vive has a wall/area warning system, as you already know, so windows or other danger areas are irrelevant.

3. The room in question is a ground floor room and the large window will be towards the 'out of bounds' area

4. Your attempts to hide your oculus party-line fanboyism, and to simultaneously troll me are a waste of both our time.

5. We all know who you are and why you signed up under yet another new account after being banned for.. what the 3rd time on here? The schizophrenic level of detail in creating a whole new persona to avoid detection is more sad than admirable, esp to old-timers of this board such as I.

And 350 posts in a little over 2 weeks of signing up? that's way too much time on your hands, maybe you should try limiting your verbal diarrhoea to posts with actual content instead of quip-retorts after every single post on the board from somebody that isn't yourself? It's seriously not a good use of time for someone who's meant to be out battling He-Man.

Have a good weekend in your Mountain. 8-)
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro