cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The HYPE of Fallout 4 VR

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Apparently Roy Taylor AMD VP feels it [Fallout 4 VR] will be the Mario or Sonic of VR in terms of shaping VR.

AMD’s corporate vice president Roy Taylor has, and he’s very convinced of its potential. “It will change the way we think about VR. It will be an industry changer,” he said, via MCV.

Todd Howard naturally hypes the game and allegedly said the following to Pete Hines:

"Fallout 4 VR is the most incredible thing you've ever seen in your life. You can't even imagine what it's like, playing in VR and how realistic it looks and everywhere you turn your head. It is going to blow your mind. It is the craziest thing you've ever seen."

A new demo will be showcased at E3 this year.

😮 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
64 REPLIES 64

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Yes, I was in the audience and cringed at the statement he made (nearly quote for quote of what the SEGA executive said about ALIENS VR back in 2014!)

I feel it is best, in the current climate, to cut the hyperbole - Roy was incredibly passionate in his session, though it was funny he pushed the "Out-fo-Home Entertainment" business approach to VR more during his presentation, inviting SoREAL and MK2 to the stage.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
 From E3 last year the general media reaction was based far more on realism than what these guys are purporting now. Maybe they have improved the demo considerably. Hyperbole and passion cross over a bit too readily these days it seems. 

Did you try the E3 demo last year Kevin?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
No, I have a "year on year off" approach to E3 - and I am even not sure if I will attend this year's event, as I have so much on (presenting at a number of VR / AR B2B events that month).

I can not word strongly enough how worried I am about the hyperbole being used across the sector. There seems to be a desperation from some parties to try and be seen as "special" or "unique" amongst a crowded sector. Mainstream media's cooling to the tech forcing more outlandish claims (ala 1996).

I think the news about Star Citizen focusing on getting their game right, and "pausing" VR support is a case in point we may hear more about during E3?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well as long as they add an option for twin stick control rather than forcing us to use a crappy teleport mechanic I'll be happy. I started to play Arizona Sunshine again for the first time since they added twin stick controls and it's SOOOOOOO much better played with twin sticks.

And if the worst comes to the worst I'll just play the game using VorpX.

Any game using a realistic looking game engine tends to 'blow your mind' in my experience when played in VR.

DarkTenka
Trustee

kevinw729 said:

No, I have a "year on year off" approach to E3 - and I am even not sure if I will attend this year's event, as I have so much on (presenting at a number of VR / AR B2B events that month).

I can not word strongly enough how worried I am about the hyperbole being used across the sector. There seems to be a desperation from some parties to try and be seen as "special" or "unique" amongst a crowded sector. Mainstream media's cooling to the tech forcing more outlandish claims (ala 1996).

I think the news about Star Citizen focusing on getting their game right, and "pausing" VR support is a case in point we may hear more about during E3?

I'm struggling to figure out whether you are just that pessimistic or actually actively AGAINST PC VR Gaming.

Seriously, Fallout 4 VR WOULD be amazing .. I've played Skyrim in VR and it IS amazing. Fallout 4 VR is a no brainer, it WILL be a huge boost to VR in general if not the actual Killer App that everyone was waiting for. Mostly just because its a good game already .. without VR, its a game that focuses on exploration, immersion and interaction with the environment - all the strongest points where VR can enhance ten fold.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Doom VR will also have the possibility of being a 'Killer App' if Zenimax don't fuck it up.

soupsong
Protege
Take all the hype away and i have no doubt this will be great in VR, over the last year fallout 4 and Witcher 3 are the games i put most time into.
If they get this right it could well be the killer app as far as software.
In my experience though it's the hardware side that needs to be sorted to drive vr forward price of entry and ease of use, everyone i have demoed to loves vr but there is no way they could afford price of entry and what may seem simple to us enthusiast is just way to complex and convoluted for most.

falken76
Expert Consultant

Apparently Roy Taylor AMD VP feels it [Fallout 4 VR] will be the Mario or Sonic of VR in terms of shaping VR.

AMD’s corporate vice president Roy Taylor has, and he’s very convinced of its potential. “It will change the way we think about VR. It will be an industry changer,” he said, via MCV.

Todd Howard naturally hypes the game and allegedly said the following to Pete Hines:

"Fallout 4 VR is the most incredible thing you've ever seen in your life. You can't even imagine what it's like, playing in VR and how realistic it looks and everywhere you turn your head. It is going to blow your mind. It is the craziest thing you've ever seen."

A new demo will be showcased at E3 this year.

😮 

Sounds like "Roy Taylor" got his very first glimpse of VR while trying out a Fallout 4 demo.  He'd probably be just as excited over Lucky's Tale.  Seeing good gfx on an HMD that tracks head movement was "the craziest thing I'd seen" when I first experienced it too.....

elboffor
Consultant
Vive can have fallout 4 for me (that can be mario)
Oculus need to get GTA V (our sonic) 
I'd be happy with that split, and even happier to get GTA V as the killer app for VR.

KillCard said:

kevinw729 said:

I'm struggling to figure out whether you are just that pessimistic or actually actively AGAINST PC VR Gaming.

I've had the same feeling
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.