cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Luciferous
Consultant
I bought it when it originally came out, made feel a bit sick though as it had a number of issues the devs never fixed.

I may load it again though when the G2 comes.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

I bought it when it originally came out, made feel a bit sick though as it had a number of issues the devs never fixed.

I am the same, it's the only games that makes me sick and I mean physically sick. Usually I just feel sick, but even talking about this game makes me want to throw up. I was bad for hours after playing this game, and I'll never load it up again to even try it.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

I am the same, it's the only games that makes me sick and I mean physically sick. Usually I just feel sick, but even talking about this game makes me want to throw up. I was bad for hours after playing this game, and I'll never load it up again to even try it.

It's by far my favorite adventure game in VR. I completed the entire game in VR using CV1 ss 2.0, never had any problems with motion sickness. In that case maybe try to sit down in the game and enjoy the views - or limit exposure to maybe 10 min. 
Windlands 2 is much worse, lol 😉

Using the Oculus version Touch works like a gamepad, but Revive does not work.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer
I mostly noticed the stereoscopic issues when in the 6th sense mode, but no sickness here. That said, I have a gut of steel these days, sooooo I'm not a good litmus indicator.

There are two scenes I did recognize as something that would have gotten me in the past though. There first one is the wormhole (after the astronaut in the woods), and the second is after the mine puzzle. Both are utilizing movement that's out of player control. But they only lasted a minute each, so I thought nothing of it.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I took this picture last night - I think it looks purdy  ❤️ Seems like the camera caught some wave pattern of ultra violet light: 

vo2hs30vcd5m.jpg

Note that you only see the small green light with the naked eye - but my Samsung S10+ phone camera saw a lot more. This is what the base station looks like with the naked eye - you don't notice the violet light, only the green:

CES 2018 Heres Valves Second Generation Base Station

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
FedEx manhandling an Index: WARNING - some viewers may find the following photo disturbing, viewer discretion is advised.

3kdkulyq0fhm.jpg

Luciferous
Consultant
That has been professionally run over and maybe backed up on again for luck. I would start by interrogating any employees who bought a Cosmos 🙂

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I haven't followed this thread since a long long time ago, but I just popped in to say that the base stations are finally back in stock for the UK.
I've had it on my wishlist for months and haven't had any notification from Steam, but just popped in on the offchance and bugger me! There it was, available. Just have to go and do some gold mining now, so I can afford the damn thing.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

RuneSR2 said:

FedEx manhandling an Index: WARNING - some viewers may find the following photo disturbing, viewer discretion is advised.

3kdkulyq0fhm.jpg

Russel: I lost the signal; is my drone ok?
Alyx: Sh-sure...

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I just made a good investment at Wilko here in the UK. I spotted their wirelessly controlled mains power sockets:

£15 - not too bad - probably could get them cheaper elsewhere, but it isn't a bad price and I can take them back any time if they don't come up to snuff or I have an issue.

What has this to do with Index you may ask - well it's simple. I've seen many people asking about powering the unit off when not being used. I'm amazed by how many people just let Windows or Valve take care of the power control. Not only that, but I was having some issues when using both Index and Rift CV1 on the same PC as some apps were trying to start the headset I didn't want to use.
So from a week or two after I bought Index, I've had it plugged into a 4 switched socket mains extension - though that means I have to reach under my table to switch it on and off every time I use it. But not any more!

Thanks to this wireless control for 3 sockets I now have at my fingertips the power for my PC and ancilliaries, my WAN printer, which is in another room, and my Index & 3 base stations to flip on and off from the comfort of my plush gaming chair!

Voila! The fat man smiles again (or FLUB as we used to call such people in the army ). the first two stand for "Fat, Lazy..." I'll leave you to work out the "UB" part 😉

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2