cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

kojack
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

jab said:

RuneSR2 said:

An awesome load of Indeces, lol:

jb5pe8nbj3dh.jpg
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/cuzy3r/this_is_a_row_of_indices/

Seems a lot more fun than my workplace, sigh. 

Doing high concentration work like software developing in an open office is hell. No matter the amount of toys involved. It's the fist thing I ask about in a job interview, and I am very happy that I am in a position where I can turn down any place that have open offices.

I think this is part of a lab, where students are able to use the indices.

Hmm, hard to tell.
My first thought was classroom (well, I'm biased obviously).
If it was an office, having only one phone shared by at least 14 people (I can see that many monitors) would be annoying. (Although at my work, my little office with 3 games staff has no phone, the audio department gets our rare calls)
No customisation. Nobody has decorated their desk, or brought in a mechanical keyboard? I'd turn down a position where I couldn't customise my working environment.

On the other hand, if it was a classroom the drawers at each desk seem odd (at least to me). But if it's a permanent VR setup then they could keep the controllers in there.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Luciferous
Consultant
Yeah its a classroom in America where students are learning to program and use VR. Not bad eh all getting index headsets. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
New SteamVR seems to be absolutely awesome - the SDE mentioned below is (close to) completely eliminated according to several users. I'm no longer using the beta, will consider trying it again. SteamVR Beta may contain many firmware upgrades and I'm starting to develop some kind of nervous eye twitching when I upgrade my Index firmware - knowing the consequences if if goes wrong :'( - and I don't want to end like this, lol

Image result for nervous twitching eye dreyfuss animated gif

SteamVR BETA update for 8/27/19 (8/28/19 UTC, 1.7.10)

If you encounter issues with this update, please post in the SteamVR Bug Reportforum. If possible, please include a system report to aid in tracking down your issue.

Compositor
  • Improved throttling logic when motion smoothing is enabled. Previously, throttling and prediction were locked together when motion smoothing is enabled. Last week throttling was temporarily disabled for cpu bound applications to help with No Man’s Sky, but made some other experiences worse (e.g. DCS World). This update allows throttling to back off of the prediction level based on the current average gpu performance. A typical example is when an app can render at half-rate (i.e. each rendered frame takes more than a single frame to finish, but less than two), but spends an extra frame on the cpu performing the draw calls, etc. This makes each of those frames a total of three frame latent, but can still deliver a new frame every other vsync interval. Note: This only applies to Lighthouse based hmds (e.g. Vive, Index) since most other headsets (e.g. Rift, WMR) use their own compositor and associated logic for throttling and prediction.

Gamepad
  • Reduce default loadPriority of the Valve-supplied gamepad driver so that it loads after most VR drivers. This is to favor VR drivers in the case where both drivers want to load gamepad related DLLs and there are version conflicts.

Index HMD
  • Added brightness control, set in-headset under Display Settings (firmware update required)

• Enabled column correction to mitigate vertical "screendoor" (firmware update required). Column correction is only active during SteamVR[beta] usage. Controls are available in-headset, under Display Settings -> Advanced.

Oculus
  • Added support for importing standing-only guardian setups. This fixes the issue where running guardian setup to set the floor level but skipping the room bounds step was resulting in the headset being stuck in the floor in SteamVR.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
One of the devs behind Until You Fall - maybe by slip of the tongue - mentioned that Index support will be added to the game before the "next big platform push" in early October.
This has led to some speculation about what the dev meant by "next big platform push" - and it's no secret that Valve has been making promises and now there're just 4 months left of the year. I'll keep holding my breath 😉

42aodluul4kr.jpg

BTW, also SteamVR beta 1.7.11 just arrived allowing column correction to be set to -10 (before -5 was max), and users on Reddit Valve Index have stated that this causes Index to be completely free of SDE. This indicates that apart from the glare, Index is now close to perfection - of course within the limits of the res and sound system. Lately it seems that users have gotten fully working Knuckles, maybe the Index really is ready for prime time - and then October might indeed be a great month for the next big push, we'll see.

Like one CV1 user who upgraded to Index wrote, even if he was really happy for the Index, he wouldn't recommend it to everyone. I fully agree - Index is more complicated than Rift(-S). Persons who just want to pick up the HMD and experience VR as easily as possible might be much better off using Rift-S. For enthusiast who don't mind changing settings and spending time getting several small - but important - settings optimally set up, Index may have little competition - and then there's the price to consider too. Last evening I spent some time going from CV1 to Index and back, and even in games like Galaxy Forces VR, where I previously found CV1 ss 2.0 quite sharp, the distance to Index SteamVR ss 200% was simply massive - and both HMDs worked in solid 90 fps on my system. But CV1 is much easier to use - and faster to start up. And no matter what you choose, it seems that Valve will offer whatever they plan to release to all kinds of PCVR HMDs.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

jab
Rising Star

RuneSR2 said:

I fully agree - Index is more complicated than Rift(-S). Persons who just want to pick up the HMD and experience VR as easily as possible might be much better off using Rift-S.

That might be true in principle, but not until Oculus has sorted out all the current software/hardware(?) problems on their platform. And judging from their latest releases they don't seem to really know exactly how to fix the problems, while Valve are steadily progressing and removing bugs without introducing new ones.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Valve just updated The Lab with full Knuckles support - I'm a great fan of The Lab and this looks awesome:

https://youtu.be/1WKf7mDfeY8

More info here:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/450390/announcements/detail/1589129608838466210

- and here 😉

https://youtu.be/au8ZryRerSU

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Seems like Valve is on speed (steam? lol) - but there have been like 2 new beta releases this week, 1.17.12 just arrived

SteamVR BETA and Valve Index Headset Firmware updates for 8/29/19 (8/30/19 UTC, 1.7.12) (self.ValveIndex)

Via the Steam Community:

If you encounter issues with this update, please post in the SteamVR Bug Report forum. If possible, please include a system report to aid in tracking down your issue.

SteamVR:

• Fixed “show controls” UI breaking when switching to another action set in certain titles. Notably, this affected “On Foot” in No Man’s Sky.
  • Fixed a frame timing bug that was introduced in 1.7.11 while fixing a different frame timing bug introduced in 1.7.10.
  • Docked headset view adds 'dismiss' option

Oculus:

• Added more detailed log information for error 1114 (failure to find the Oculus runtime). If you are seeing this error, please let us know in the bug report forum (linked above).

Index HMD Firmware:

• Firmware update: fixed regression in audio jack functionality, introduced in 1.7.10.
  • Increase allowed range of column correction (Display Settings -> Advanced)

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Valve just updated The Lab with full Knuckles support - I'm a great fan of The Lab and this looks awesome:

https://youtu.be/1WKf7mDfeY8

More info here:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/450390/announcements/detail/1589129608838466210

- and here 😉

https://youtu.be/au8ZryRerSU

BTW, there're wonderful secrets in the new version of the lab - look what Santa brought, lol:

1j1qp9aygaus.jpg

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Is there much new in the lab (considering over a 3gb patch)
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Is there much new in the lab (considering over a 3gb patch)

I'll let you know later - but Touch is also supported, it's not just Knuckles.