cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official Nakamura's Fall Dev Thread

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some of you may be aware that I'm developing a VR survival-horror game and will be giving all of the proceeds to cancer research and I just wanted your opinion on how much I should charge for it. I was originally thinking $4.99/£4.99 for a four or five hour experience but the other thread regarding game prices has made me think that this price isn't high enough. So how much would be most attractive to you guys to buy this? £7.99? $10.99?

I want to raise as much money as possible but don't want to have the price so high that I'll end up losing sales.

I'm ages away from texturing all of my models let alone having something playable but I like to plan things ahead, plus this gives me an opportunity to give you a preview of my first model that I'm going to texture with Substance Painter lol

I'm aiming to have this game looking as professional as possible, part of the reason why I'm using the Unreal Engine and part of the reason why I spent $199 on the Substance Indie Pack a few weeks back. Here's my first model that I'm going to finish, a large storage crate:

Low res version (220 poly)

Low res version with normals, height etc baked in from the high res version (still (220 polys)

I might update this thread as I progress with things if you guys would be interested in seeing stuff as it (literally) develops? I also have a Dev Blog on the VR Spies forum here if you want to see how things have progressed during this last year:

http://forum.vrspies.com/t/harvs-dev-blog-nakamuras-pride/305

Let me know what you think of the pricing of this too. I'm starting to lean towards $10.99/£10.99 now I'm thinking about it.
93 REPLIES 93

wanoennogs
Heroic Explorer
I have a question why are you charging different prices in different countries  USA = $4.99 which is £3.90. UK price is £4.99 which is $6.39. 

For a 4 - 5 hour game I would say $1.99 is the price.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I disagree. We get charged £29.99 for the same game on Oculus that is $29.99. And that's not for good causes. I would say $9.99/£9.99 is a perfect price mate !!! I'd pay that.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

cybereality
Grand Champion
You may want to ask on the developer forum (switch sections with the community drop down on the right). I think $10 is a reasonable price, but without seeing the content it's impossible to know what it's worth. There is a fine balance, though. Selling for cheaper will often get more users, so a larger community, potentially more word of mouth, etc. However a higher price would indicate the content is higher quality and counter-intuitively may sell better (up to the point where it's too expensive). For example, when I buy Kindle books and I see one for $0.99 I usually assume it's lesser quality than a $9.99 book. But it will depend on what you are selling.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Percy1983
Superstar
As above without scope of the actual game its card to say.

But if good between £5-£10 puts in in the no brainer category.

I would just like to say thank you for doing this to make donation to cancer research, having nearly lost my mum and having a cousin currently under going treatment its a very real condition to me.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

vannagirl
Consultant
well something tell me my copy will be free

YES!!

this aside,

yes i agree the 5-10 cat. However for all the good causes i would say you should consider earning out of this. This way you can carry on making more games it will help you in life ;)and there are many other ways of helping Cancer etc.
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nah, not interested in earning any money myself from it. I'm doing this as a hobby and thought I'd raise some cash for charity whilst I'm doing it. Plus if I give it all to charity I don't have to bother with the tax man lol

Sorry to hear about that @Percy1983 I hope it all goes well for your cousin! 😮

As for the content, there isn't any yet lol. I've done 40 models so far and haven't textured them yet. I've got a LONG way to go before I have anything even remotely playable, plus it's difficult to work on for long periods of time due to my depression.

The type of game I'm going for is what would happen if Dreadhalls and Alien Isolation both got drunk, had rampant sex and gave birth lmfao 😄 😄 😄

My plan is to get some sort of demo going and approach Oculus for funding. I'm going to need 3 grand's worth of software if I'm going to be able to get this game for commercial use. And no, there's no need to throw any money in my direction, Oculus have more than enough to spare lol. I bought myself Substance Designer and Substance Painter when I had some money paid to me that has been owed since January so I've got enough to keep me going and do something useful, plus I'm using Student and Trial versions of everything until I can get this funding from Oculus.

I can't believe I've been at this for a year, if my mental health was reasonable I probably would have done what I've done so far in a month or two.

I reckon I'm going to go for a $9.99/£9.99 price point, thanks to you all for your input! :smiley:

I'll update this thread when I start getting my models textured and build a few more. I've been avoiding building a few models that are going to be difficult, cutlery and a big fuck off carving knife so that you can chop off the Chief Engineer's thumb to get through a door. It's an old'un but a good'un lol

CrashFu
Consultant
I wonder if you could use the same framework that games with optional premium content (aka in-app purchases) use in order to list a game at a lower price but then have an easy option for players to donate more if they want to?

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

vannagirl
Consultant

snowdog said:

I can't believe I've been at this for a year, if my mental health was reasonable I probably would have done what I've done so far in a month or two.

This is why i mention you should also take something from it
Just saying.

Yes maybe you can make a dev blog site with donations and patreon etc
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well Oculus have started to give developers the option for free trials so perhaps that might be possible.