cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There is no such thing as a comfortable headset.

inovator
Consultant
Reviewers always talk about the most comfortable headset. But in reality there is no such thing. There are headsets that are more comfortable that will make them tolerable for longer periods of time. It would take a headset about a third the size of todays headsets to truly achieve comfort. Hopefully within the next 5 years.
181 REPLIES 181

Richooal
Consultant
Headsets are like high heel shoes. You put up with the discomfort because of how good things look.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

inovator
Consultant

Richooal said:

Headsets are like high heel shoes. You put up with the discomfort because of how good things look.

That's a great analogy. I put up with it like many because of my love for vr.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Richooal said:

Is there something you're not telling us..? Have you gone all @Zenbane on us all of a sudden?!!? 😮 😄

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

Richooal said:

Is there something you're not telling us..? Have you gone all @Zenbane on us all of a sudden?!!? 😮 😄

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I have to disagree. I found the Oculus CV1 to be comfortable once I got a Cover from VR cover. I also found the Rift S to be comfortable. The only thing that let the HP Reverb down was the heavy cable and that will be fixed with HP G2, I hope. I don't like the material on any of the Oculus face plates and much prefer the PU leather from VR Cover. The only headset I found to be uncomfortable is the Oculus Quest due to it's front heavy weight.
I suppose it depends on what you mean by comfort though. Some people find getting hot while wearing a VR headset very uncomfortable and then there's some people who just don't like wearing anything on their heads. I don't like wearing a watch because I find it irritating on my wrist, but some people don't even know they are wearing a watch.
What do you find uncomfortable about wearing a VR headset exactly?

inovator
Consultant

RedRizla said:

I have to disagree. I found the Oculus CV1 to be comfortable once I got a Cover from VR cover. I also found the Rift S to be comfortable. The only thing that let the HP Reverb down was the heavy cable and that will be fixed with HP G2, I hope. I don't like the material on any of the Oculus face plates and much prefer the PU leather from VR Cover. The only headset I found to be uncomfortable is the Oculus Quest due to it's front heavy weight.
I suppose it depends on what you mean by comfort though. Some people find getting hot while wearing a VR headset very uncomfortable and then there's some people who just don't like wearing anything on their heads. I don't like wearing a watch because I find it irritating on my wrist, but some people don't even know they are wearing a watch.

If the cv1 was a third of the wait you would know what real comfort is. There would be no comparison. I try to say most of the time it's my opinion but this time I will call it fact.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

inovator said:

RedRizla said:

If the cv1 was a third of the wait you would know what real comfort is. There would be no comparison. I try to say most of the time it's my opinion but this time I will call it fact.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I wouldn't say it's fact that all VR headsets are uncomfortable. I only say this because there are plenty of people who find VR headset comfortable. You just have to read some reviews or look in this forum to see that. I find wearing glasses more uncomfortable than wearing a VR headset and they are much lighter. I find glasses irritate the bridge of my nose but wearing a VR headsets doesn't irritate it. The only time I feel discomfort wearing the Oculus CV1 and some other VR headset is when they get too hot inside, which is usually in the Summer.
You didn't say what you find so uncomfortable about wearing a VR headset though. Also you have to take into account that what bothers you may not bother someone else. I found the Oculus Quest to be too front heavy, but I've read that others find it comfortable so who am I to disagree with them. People have different options about what makes something comfortable. It could be that the shape of their heads makes a certain VR headset comfortable for them, or that their skin isn't irritated by the face plate materials.

inovator
Consultant

RedRizla said:

inovator said:

RedRizla said:

You are entitled to your opinion, but I wouldn't say it's fact that all VR headsets are uncomfortable. I only say this because there are plenty of people who find VR headset comfortable. You just have to read some reviews or look in this forum to see that. I find wearing glasses more uncomfortable than wearing a VR headset and they are much lighter. I find glasses irritate the bridge of my nose but wearing a VR headsets doesn't irritate it. The only time I feel discomfort wearing the Oculus CV1 and some other VR headset is when they get too hot inside, which is usually in the Summer.
You didn't say what you find so uncomfortable about wearing a VR headset though. Also you have to take into account that what bothers you may not bother someone else. I found the Oculus Quest to be too front heavy, but I've read that others find it comfortable so who am I to disagree with them. People have different options about what makes something comfortable. It could be that the shape of their heads makes a certain VR headset comfortable for them, or that their skin isn't irritated by the face plate materials.

It's a fact that all vr headsets are uncomfortable when compared to a next gen headset that would be a third the size. Headsets of this gen are not comfortable. They are tolerable. If you were to put on a headset that was a third the size I believe you would agree.

Digikid1
Consultant
Having tried all of the headsets the most comfortable is....The Oculus Rift CV1.  Nothing else comes close IMHO.