cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Today was a sad day in gaming for me.

DericLee
Honored Guest
My excitement over the future of getting a digital platform where I could still trade my games and share them has been crushed 😞

I know the majority didn't like XB1 vision of the future, and I understand why.

I just wish that they could have compromised by offering both solutions, heck, they could of sold me on a version of the XB1 with no disc drive, and give me the future I crave, gladly abiding by a check in rule, my systems already instantly log online when I've boot them up for the past 10 years anyhow :(.

But even in my sadness, I have the Rift on the horizon, so while I won't get the next generation of managing my game licenses, I will get the next generation in immersive game play.

So at least one of my dreams of the future of gaming is coming to fruition.

Thanks OculusVR, you give my hobby hope. πŸ™‚

(now if only Steam would adopt some of those original XB1 features-share/trade licenses specifically.
28 REPLIES 28

darren
Honored Guest
You are right... I was wholly expecting a cheaper version of the XB3 that didn't have an optical drive but it would require an online connection and you would just buy games online, rent movies online and stuff like that, which is nowadays 90% of my console usage. They could rationalize the cheaper cost by requiring single-licensed games.

Then, they would have an optical version that cost more but you would get the ability to share and trade games discs.

However, what Microsoft did was to destroy something that wasn't broke, making it worse, like literally a crippled-for-no-reason-other-than-greed console, and somehow, irrationally, they expected that force-feed marketing would make people buy it because they have no choice. And indeed, if they want to play exclusive titles, they do have no choice.

However I don't think the people in this American climate want to be taken like that and I expect that a lot of people just won't buy the Xbone, in part, on principle. Also... I really don't think the features Microsoft put into the console are the features people really wanted.
"Collecting user blood samples is critical for the operation of the device. We have struggled with our ability to communicate our vision about how user blood sample collection is the future of VR gaming." - Microsoft

zeroxygen
Honored Guest
The XBOX One's vision of the future did not include trading and sharing. It included sharing, and purchasing with a copy of the game disc. As of today it's the same DRM setup as the former.

I think MS should have kept their plans, but only because I dislike needing the game disc in to start it. The majority seems to love the used games market, so they got what they want.

Can't please everybody, so you have to go with the majority it seems.

zeroxygen
Honored Guest
"darren" wrote:
You are right... I was wholly expecting a cheaper version of the XB3 that didn't have an optical drive but it would require an online connection and you would just buy games online, rent movies online and stuff like that, which is nowadays 90% of my console usage. They could rationalize the cheaper cost by requiring single-licensed games.

Then, they would have an optical version that cost more but you would get the ability to share and trade games discs.

However, what Microsoft did was to destroy something that wasn't broke, making it worse, like literally a crippled-for-no-reason-other-than-greed console, and somehow, irrationally, they expected that force-feed marketing would make people buy it because they have no choice. And indeed, if they want to play exclusive titles, they do have no choice.

However I don't think the people in this American climate want to be taken like that and I expect that a lot of people just won't buy the Xbone, in part, on principle. Also... I really don't think the features Microsoft put into the console are the features people really wanted.

The reason they had their DRM plans was so they could support the sharing features. You install the game to the hard disk, never need it again, and can share your game library with up to 10 other people. As long as only a single person is playing the game at any one time (requires always on net to work), any of those 10 people can play it when only the original person paid for it. This could be ideal, but it also would rule out being able to support used games, as each disk would have to be uniquely licensed to the original online account to avoid piracy.

I really don't think MS had pure profit in mind from this concept, as this lets many people play games they didn't pay for and also helps out the game publishers who get nothing from used game sales that would otherwise be retail/digital purchases. In the end a lot of consumers would win out with this model.

None of this matters anymore though, http://www.destructoid.com/microsoft-to-drop-xbox-one-drm-region-locking-256617.phtml.

Dave
Explorer
How is this thread even slightly on topic for this forum?

Gerald
Expert Protege
They still could do both - allow "family" sharing for digital downloads, allow oldschool sharing for physical medium type gaming (of course you still need the disc in the drive for playing).

But I'll be honest - I very much doubt that sharing features as advertised would have happened anyway. The way customers came at them, I bet publishers surely came at them about the sharing. Many won't buy a game if they know they can play it a few days later for free from a friend.
There are a ton of issues with it that had not been answered anyway, so my bet is that it was not a well thought through thin anyway.
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

darren
Honored Guest
(duplicate post)
"Collecting user blood samples is critical for the operation of the device. We have struggled with our ability to communicate our vision about how user blood sample collection is the future of VR gaming." - Microsoft

darren
Honored Guest
"Dave" wrote:
How is this thread even slightly on topic for this forum?

Because of this line here: "But even in my sadness, I have the Rift on the horizon."

It is a powerful comment that instantly makes any post on topic.

Here is an example:

I had a very disappointing hot dog from Five Guys Burgers and Fries today. They split the hot dog length-wise just so it would cook faster, put it on a fake-bread bun, and when I was thinking of ketchup and pickle relish, I wasn't imagining it with too-much ketchup and not-enough pickle relish, wrapped tightly in aluminium foil.

But even in my sadness, I have the Rift on the horizon.

antigravity
Explorer

msat
Honored Guest
Lets say games start utilizing the 50GB capacity of Blu-ray discs. Is that really something you would want to download, or keep ripped to the (non-upgradable) hard drive?